Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

bfinney
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 pm 

Does anyone know where one can obtain an oil screen adapter for a Lycoming engine to install a remote mounted oil filter? ACS has one in their catalog but I just got off the phone with them and it is no longer available. Airwolf has a kit that lists for $474 but I don't need the whole kit just the adapter that replaces the oil screen. How about aircraft pieces parts recycling places? I would really love to get rid of the oil screen on my engine.

Thanks,

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm 

I got mine from Canton Race Products. Go to their web page and hit oil filiter adapters, then click on remote oil filter adapters. Fits perfect. The only thing I did was drill a safety wire hole in the attach bolt. I also used their remote filter housing. Standard braded hose and aircraft fittings were used to connect the two units.
Attachment:
PC-680%20battery%20on%20firewall.jpg
PC-680%20battery%20on%20firewall.jpg [ 298.7 KiB | Viewed 9279 times ]
This is the remote unit below the battery. The adapter and remote unit are machine billet alum. not cast and Made in the USA. I actually got my from a Canton vendor (sorry I don't remember the name ?) It was less than buying direct from the factory and I beleive it had free shipping and no tax ? Been a few years.
Attachment:
S-18 engine mounting, flaps, aileron,aileron trim 041.jpg
S-18 engine mounting, flaps, aileron,aileron trim 041.jpg [ 615.74 KiB | Viewed 9279 times ]
I thought the last pic would show the adapter for the engine, but you can't really see it.

RB

Attachments:
S18%20engine%20plenum%20and%20hinged%20cowl%20cheek%20005.jpg
S18%20engine%20plenum%20and%20hinged%20cowl%20cheek%20005.jpg [ 355.34 KiB | Viewed 9279 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm 

Rich,
I currently do not have an oil filter on my engine, just the oil screen, so I need the Lycoming adapter that replaces the screen housing or something of that nature.

Thanks,

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:41 pm 

Guess I missed something ? I thought you were trying to add a remote oil filter ? You don't need a "Lycoming adapter" to replace the oil screen to add a remote filter. The Canton adapter will do that. There are other auto adapters on the market that will also do the job. Just bolt the adapter on the block and run hoses to the cooler and the remote oil filter. I pulled the Lycoming filter adapter that came with the engine off and put the Canton unit on. I had to remove the Lycoming unit because of limited space as no oil filter would fit. If you are trying to just add the adapter to the engine to have a filter, there is a Ford unit that rotates so you can position the filter where you want. Bada Bing, Bada Boom !

RB

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm 

Rich,
I missed the second page the first time I looked. The only adapter that looks like it would work is for a Ford, is this what you used? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics if it is the correct size.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:52 pm 

Yes it is a Ford adapter. Canton remote adapter #22-595. 3/4"-16 pitch. Bolts to the engine and can rotate in any direction to attach the hoses. Once you have rotated the adapter to the desired location, tighten the attach bolt. $98.00. Canton remote oil filter mount #22-625. Put it where you want the filter. 3/4"-16 pitch...same as the Tempest oil filter I use. $150.00. Both have 1/2" inlet and outlets. Like I said some folks have used the cast adapters (probably imports ?) with success, but I perferred the machined billet units and they are US made. :)

If you shop around you can fine the same Canton units for less from other Vendors vs. buying direct. The ability to rotate the engine adapter to where you want to route the hoses is a BIG plus ! I probably paid about 25-30% less for the units a few years back ? ::)

RB

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 pm 

Bruce: Just did a quick search for the 22-595 and found it at summit racing for $75.00. Keep looking, I know it can be found for cheaper. Now that I see this price, I believe I paid around $65.00 several years ago.

RB

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 am 

Rich,
That adapter works only if you have a filter mount on the engine. I don't, I only have an oil screen.
The oil screen is the part that is attached to the blue anodized oil cooler adapter, I have a O290G, none of the oil ports are machined on the accessory case. The oil screen has a square bolt pattern. After thinking about it and sorting through the adapters on Canton Racing site it might be possible to fab an adapter out of a piece of 3/4" aluminum similar to the Canton #22-629 part.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:10 am 

A pic sure does clear things up. It sounds like you need/want a "straight" lycoming adapter ? Try Mattituck.com They have both the straight and angled adapters. Then you can bolt on the Canton (or any other adapter of your choice) to the lycoming adapter and then run your hoses to the remote filter. The straight runs about $275.00 and I think it comes with a filter ?

RB

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm 

Bruce;
I have a 1" thick piece of aluminum that is L shaped. The fat leg can make an adapter plate 4" x 3".
If that is big enough, you can carve & drill it to take a pair of AN fittings for hoses to a remote filter.
I used part of it to make an oil temp & pressure adapter for my rotary engine. You are welcome to the remaining piece.
Scott E