Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:32 pm 

Aircraft spruce sells a Thermostatic Bypass Valves, part number SL53E19600 for $250
They also see a Temperature Control Oil Cooler Valve, part number 53E22144 for $340

They both look like the same part?? Which one do I need and what's the difference? I have a Lycoming 0-360.

My oil temps are now at 200 degrees and 60 psi in cruise (used to be about 185 until a couple flights ago) even when I pull back the throttle to about 2250-2300 rpm and cruise at that low setting it stays at 200* and 60 psi. Oil pressure used to be somewhere about 70 until a couple hours ago.

My oil is clean and fresh and at 6qts. Anything over, it just spits it out the breather. Temps at altitude during last flight was at 72*F.

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:12 am 

It looks like they are the same part. One from Superior and one from Lycoming.
https://www.superiorairparts.com/Superi ... SL53E19600

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:55 am 

Something is not right. You should be a lot cooler under those conditions. I try to run at 60psi in cruise. Much more than that, and you are risking a case oil leak. I also keep my oil at 6 quarts on the stick. Although that requires 7 quarts in the system due to oil lines and a remote filter.
My oil cooler is mounted behind the number 4 cylinder on the baffle.
Try another quart and see if it helps. As long as the engine holds onto it, the volume should help.
Is the cooler new? It might need to be cleaned.
Got any restrictions to airflow?
How are the cylinder temps?
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:40 pm 

You mentioned fresh looking oil but nothing about the filter and/or screen. With a sudden shift like that I would check to see if the engine is making metal. Another question I have is about the timeline (calendar). A couple of hours ago aircraft time could have been 40+ degrees cooler outside. My Thorp hasn’t moved since the first week of March and I know my temps would be warmer today than I remember them being.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:22 pm 

James Grahn wrote:
Something is not right. You should be a lot cooler under those conditions. I try to run at 60psi in cruise. Much more than that, and you are risking a case oil leak. I also keep my oil at 6 quarts on the stick. Although that requires 7 quarts in the system due to oil lines and a remote filter.
My oil cooler is mounted behind the number 4 cylinder on the baffle.
Try another quart and see if it helps. As long as the engine holds onto it, the volume should help.
Is the cooler new? It might need to be cleaned.
Got any restrictions to airflow?
How are the cylinder temps?
Cubes

We have identical setups. All equipment is 500 SMOH. cylinder temps are within 10 degrees of each other in 350-360 degree range. Nothing has changed except for that big landing light I put in the cowl inlet. I'll add another quart and remove lights and go fly. I appreciate y'alls thoughts on this. Filter and screen looked good 10 hours ago at oil change. I'm on vacation this week so I'll have to handle this next week when I get back.

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:59 am 

Do one or the other for testing. If you do both at the same time and the temps change then you won’t know which did the trick.

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 pm 

I removed the lights from my cowl inlets and my oil temp and pressure returned to normal. My CHT's were about 10 degrees cooler also (in the 340-350 range).

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am 

OK, I think I have a grounding issue. I cant wait to get those lights stuffed back in my cowl!

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm 

Just for anyone reading this thread at a later date, I stuffed both my lights back into my cowl inlets, but didnt hook them up to power or ground. I flew 4 hours today and the oil temps, oil pressure and CHTs were all good.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:58 pm 

It's a pressure cowl.....though Cubes story about the tufts and the cameras in there have me losing sleep.....I might have to try that one of these days....after the 20 other things I have put on the list and vowed to complete by the spring of 2016.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album