Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

New2T18
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:03 pm 

As I'm looking to purchase a T18, I've got lots of info, checklist(s) and feel I have a good idea of what to look for. This will be the first experimental I've ever owned, but I've owned quite a few certified aircraft and log books are obviously extremely important. I'm going to look at one and the builder is the one selling. Is a builders log something that is required during the build process? Is that important to have?

Any and all feedback appreciated!

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm 

Nice to have a builders log , but I wouldn't call it a game changer . It may be required by some DAR's . Properly notated Maint. logs , prop/engine (comp readings) logs , what was done on conditional inspections , operating limitations , etc. are a must . Make sure all the SDR's are done . Then a good fore and aft look at the AC hopefully by someone that knows Thorps ! Remember "It's like a box of chocolates !"

Now I will share with you my experience I had with my builder log for NX115RX . After the AC was signed off by the DAR and all Phase I flying was done , I decided to go to the local FSDO to get my repairman's certificate for the AC . I had at least a 1ft high stack of logs AND a very detailed log with at least 100 photos showing the stages of construction . After I put my stack on the counter the FSDO maintenance inspector only asked to see my California drivers license !! What the farkle !! After 27 years of carefully maintaining records during the build this was all they wanted to see for a repairman's certificate ? I have complete faith in the system ! "Their not happy until I'm not happy !"

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 pm 

On a different day with a different inspector in the same office the stack of records you took wouldn’t be enough.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm 

You're exactly right ! ??? I was just venting steam out of various orifices ! :o

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 pm 

Good logs are gold........and just about as scarce.

D

Profile Personal album