Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
StrikerBaker
 Post subject: Looking for a good T-18
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 pm 

So I just got done riding shotgun with Homey and Fraser this weekend on a little local formation sortie. Had a blast and now I'm searching for a T-18 of my own. I found one that looks good on paper at Merrill Field in Anchorage, picture attached. Is anyone familiar with this aircraft or have a line on another for sale?

Attachments:
t-18.jpg
t-18.jpg [ 165.83 KiB | Viewed 13588 times ]

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 pm 

Looks like an S-18 with a Rattray cowl & an 8" tailwheel? I don't think I know the airplane.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 pm 

It is an S-18 . Check the N number . That might give some info. ?

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 am 

there is a T-18 with an 0-360 fixed pitch for $23K or best offer listed on ebay. I don't know anything about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Tho ... v4exp=true

Profile Personal album  

d.grimm
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:36 am 

Check NTSB records on any airplane.
Dave

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Alaska is a long way to go for an airplane .. there are a few good Thorps out there for sale right now ... usually the best ones never reach the market. I would post what you are looking for in a Thorp on this site. I know of a few out there who are considering selling.

As far as the ebay airplane goes you get what you pay for, 9 times out of 10 a low acquisition cost ends up making up for itself down the road.

Like it or not the current market is as follows;

0-360 low end 31K high end 39K
0-320 low end 27K high end 34K
0-290 low end 24K high end 29K

There are of course exceptions but out of that range on the low side may end up making up for itself sooner than later.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 am 

".... 9 times out of 10 a low acquisition cost ends up making up for itself down the road."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Also... look for wrinkles in the top skin around where the main spar joins between the outer panel and center section. Look very carefully; they can be quite subtle.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm 

Attachment:
Form John.jpg
Form John.jpg [ 59.44 KiB | Viewed 13518 times ]
Attachment:
6950284715_6c1f01dd5a_b.jpg
6950284715_6c1f01dd5a_b.jpg [ 369.55 KiB | Viewed 13518 times ]

John Kerr is selling his polished T-18 . It is located at Gillespie Field (KSEE) in San Diego , CA . If anyone is interested or knows someone that is looking to buy a T-18 , E-mail me and I will give you John's contact information (Cell and e-mail ) . Sorry I don't have better pictures . :(

RB O:-) rx115@cox.net

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm 

The Alaska AC may have been the one I saw at PTV a few years back ? It was completed and needed some work . I do remember it had the large tail wheel . If I saw a pic of the instrument panel I could narrow it down .

Profile Personal album  

StrikerBaker
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 pm 

Here is the link to the one advertised in Alaska, with picture below:
http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Trans ... _18_C.html

As for what I'm looking for I think an O-320 powered model at least so I can get decent performance up here in Salt Lake for x-countries and some basic acro. Don't really mind a basic panel because I don't really plan on flying if the weather's crappy. Above all I just want one that's well built so I can fly with piece of mind about its mechanical condition -- I think just looking at the 'before' pictures on Thierry's rebuild is enough to give any pilot nightmares

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 173.69 KiB | Viewed 13459 times ]

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:51 pm 

This looks like the same panel . Very poor design . I took a pic of it at PTV to remind me to NEVER build a panel like this ! No thought or reason to the layout ? I wonder about the rest of the AC ? ??? It is an experimental AC and each builder/pilot can design their own panel to their own needs . :P Why put the "switches" on the far right side of the panel ?

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:57 am 

+1 on what Lee said;
Many of the best T-18's never are advertised.
I found 'Fiesty' in an obsolete ad on a GOOGLE search. The seller was 93 years old and in a retirement home, I had to do the transaction with his daughter. I had a heck of a time getting any contact info so I could talk to a person who could show me the plane, then connect me with the seller, who lives out of state. This was the 3rd T-18 I looked at. I also considered a Mustang II, but I'm too tall in the back, the canopy wouldn't close over my head.
It can be complicated, but I got a good price on a very well built plane.
I've been making a lot of changes, but always finding a robust and well built plane. That's the important foundation you need, unless you are like Thierry, who looks for poorly built airplanes so he can enjoy rebuilding them. Don't knock that either. I love working on planes, but I'm guessing you'll want to fly right away after buying.
After I bought 'Feisty', I found out there is a T-18C right across the taxi way. I suppose it was for sale too, the owner was a glider pilot, and didn't care for the higher landing speed. I talked to him on the phone a couple of times.
T-18s are right under your nose! Many sit in dark hangars for years like mine did.

dondday
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 pm 

Well Thorpies,

I don't get into this forum often, but find the need to from time to time to put in my two cents worth.

Some folks go all over the world looking for a bangain and buying in Canada just makes the process all the more difficult when importing what you just bought. My good friend Ken Morgan here in Texas just finish putting his airplane back together and engine has less than one hour and will get a few more to complete the testing of engine work and new prop. Give him a call (817-929-4998) and let him tell you more about it. He's asking $41K and in my opinion, well worth it.

I made comments in the past about our members and Thorp owners giving away our airplanes way too cheap. It's time we start looking at our little Tiger and give it a ROAR what what it's worth. Lee took it upon himself to give values and pricing of the T-18, but he only gave engine size as criteria. There are Lee, other factors which can enhance the price of our little airplane.

1. Airplane does not fly by engine alone.
2. What type of equipment in the airplane makes a difference.
3. Auto pilot, panel mounted GPS, Fuel management computer, engine monitoring system, to name a few.
4. Workmanchip and paint adds.
5. Last, but not least, the person owning the airplane sets his own price.

I build my airplane over a period of seventeen years from start to finish. Actual building time was more like three years plus due to travel, personal commitments and family afairs. In my humble opinion, I don't believe there is one single person in this forum qualified to set a price on another person's airplane. If a person wants something and willing to pay, then the price is right. It's up to the individual prospective buyer to pay or not to pay.

I commented in the past about what I though was the reasons for such low price tag on the T-18. That reason is mainly the lack of support. If I need a part for my airplane other than the ones prevously provided by Classic, I can call Spruce, Van's, WagAero and have it on my porch in two days. Who do I call if I need a Thorp part?? No Lee, I don't believe your pricing is correct. It may be what you're willing to pay for one, but you won't get mine for that price. I and only I have the right to set my own price.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 pm 

Don: This a subject we could discuss until the world stops spinning ! That may happen come January ? You are right , you can set whatever price you want for your AC . The market is going to drive the price . The number one experimental AC at Air Adventure 2013 was the RV (Lee kick me if I am wrong ) . They had a massive fly over(s) and a few solo acts and that provided free advertising for the product ! I think Richard Ecklund (sp) is doing his best to support the T-18 family and Mike Archer at CSA wants to retire and I can't blame him . I am confident that someone will take on the product line from CSA .

I spent 27 years building my AC and I know when the time comes to sell it I will NEVER get what I think it is "worth." I know that it has been well maintained , kept in a hangar and I feel confident selling it knowing it is a safe AC to fly . I would have to check out an Air Force Pilot first ! It has a Gemini PFD , TruTrak AP , Fuel flow computer , Electric aileron trim , Electric stab trim , Electric rudder trim and many more extras . peep/BOOM !

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 am 

This has gotten a little off the beaten path.
T-18's are cheap because the owners don't want to sell them. Then they get too old to fly them and they sit. Then they die or end up in a retirement home etc., and a family member has to handle the sale. The family member sees the whole thing as a liability, the hangar cost more than the value of the plane since the last time it was flown, and they would sell it at any price.
IF you want any kind of reasonable price for your Thorp, then sell it before you can't fly it. Sell it with a current condition inspection and pitot static check. be willing to give transition training to the buyer.
Have documentation supporting the value of the aircraft, a set of plans and clean logbooks with a lot of entries that make sense. Sell it with some time left on the engine.
T-18s have a small buying audience. Getting the right buyer takes time and they have to be the right kind of flyer & maintainer or it won't be a good fit. Also, they have to fit the plane. I 'just' fit a T-18, I don't fit a Mustang II. :-\

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next