Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Don! for crying out loud!! I guess I should be flattered but I'm not "setting prices" how many times and in how many ways do I have to explain this to you?!?!?! I'm not the Kelley's Blue Book of Thorps! I'm stating actual figures! It's effing math, economics and the aviation market.

In addition, with reference to the 'Sport Aviation' comment you obviously did not even think to do as I suggested ... so once again let me explain ... (geez this is getting really old!!!)

Starduster II 47K
T-18 21K

Vari-Eze 37K
T-18 21K

Glassair TD 50K
T-18 20K

Do you see a trend yet?!?!?!?

T-18's are not priced low because of support, marketing or the war in Afghanistan! They're priced the way they are because the market has set the price and as many have stated the market sucks! I spend a good portion of every day supporting this airplane, answering calls and responding to emails from people interested in the Thorp. Don't tell me the airplane does not have support I LIVE IT! What do you do Don? From my point of view, just a lot of complaining. It's not about support it's just the way it is .. as I said originally "like it or not"

While I'm at it ... Don where are you getting some of your "facts"? You stated "Richard Eklund provides T-18 specific parts such as fuel tanks, main beam fittings, landing gears, horizontal pivot fittings, ribs " Since when?!?!?! Where did that come from? Last time I checked RE ran a Bed And Breakfast and sold a limited selection of wing and tail components.

And once again with reference to your passive aggressive comment regarding the sale of CSA ... here's a thought! Try asking! CSA has not been sold yet but why does that matter?!??! The T-18 is a plans built airplane what difference does it make if one of the suppliers is in limbo .. go buy some metal and start cutting! That's one of the great appeals of the Thorp .. it does not require a "kit".

This whole conversation has gotten well out of hand .. it started as a new guy interested in a Thorp and has turned into a temper tantrum of a few guys who are upset that the planes they own are simply not worth what they think they are. Sorry guys ... sooner or later you'll be a victim of the prices the market sets ... and when that time comes it will not be CSA's fault it will not be Obama's fault and it certainly wont be because I stated some facts on a forum website used by a minuscule number of airplane owners/builders.

Once again for the last time (I hope) I own a Thorp too! I wish it were worth more but the market is the market and once again (I hope) it's been this way for as long as I can remember ... it NOTHING to do with support, marketing or the Vietnam! it's just the way it is ... end of story! Stop wining!!! Please!!! We own, fly and care for these airplanes because they fly great, look good and go like stink .. not because they're worth a lot of $$$ .... I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of Thorp owners got into this airplane for that very reason ... low acquisition cost .. so let's not be hypocrites ... Thorps are a lot of bang for the buck ... but don't bitch when the tables are turned.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:30 pm 

Dog gone it Chuck, how did you know I was an old foggie! I was tryin to hide it and obviously I didn't do a good job at all!! I know Rich and Fraze will have to respond to this one......Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 pm 

Deep Pockets ? I go Commando when it comes to money ! Nursing Home ? ??? Sell the Red Rocket ? :P You my friend have been drinking too much formaldehyde ! ::)

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 am 

leewwalton wrote:
.... and when that time comes it will not be CSA's fault it will not be Obama's fault and it certainly wont be because I stated some facts on a forum website used by a minuscule number of airplane owners/builders.

I don't know, Lee... I think I have to disagree. I'm pretty sure that it is Obama's fault! ::)
BEEP!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:57 pm 

John , John , John ! Last time I checked it was GB's problem ? ???

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

irapilot
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:06 pm 

OH OH, HERE WE GO AGAIN.........

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 pm 

Wow!

I can’t believe Lee, how so few words can make you lose it…calling me names, cussing me out and trying to belittle me. I am not bitching, whinning, simply setting the record straight. Since I’m not one of your favorites, I guess I’m supposed to stay out of the way and not give an opinion. Do I need to run it by you first before I post the next time? Before I get ready to sell my airplane if I did, do I need to ask you what price I should put on it? You’re using antiquated data. $21K in 1989 pretty much comes to $45K today, or did you not study economics in college? I did! Or am I wrong about that too? Ever bid in eBay? Seller sets the bottom dollar and bidders go at it. If reserve is not met, it doesn’t sell. Period!

I’m waiting to get the ultimatum from Lee Obama Walton like some others before me. By-the-way, what in hell did Obama, Afghanistan and Vietnam had to do with what I posted? AND, I did not vote for Obama, as soldier in the army I supported Afghanistan and spent a year in VietNam. What did you do in the war?

For your information, I did build my airplane from scratch for the fun of it and not to sell. I'm having more fun now flying it and will keep flying it, but that's besides the point. You shouldn't go around bringing data from forty years ago and telling people what their airplane is worth. Forty years ago, people could and did built airplanes for less than $10K where today is more like $40K if they don't buy a new engine from Lyc. Does that mean their airplane is worth $10K?

Talking to some five or so people a day or every week like you told me about the T-18 is not the only type of support builders need. Not everyone is as smart as you are and cannot make parts, nor do they have the time to cut pieces and make them.

You don't like what I'm telling you, and makes you so angry to begin insults, DON'T READ IT! And this is my last on this! subject!! Just drop it.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm 

3 years ago I sold a T-18 for 25K.....at the time, I thought I sold it for too little, and the person who purchased it thought they paid too much. 7 months later, I purchased another one for 27K with a 40 hour 2nd run motor and a TV screen. I paid just a bit too much (had I known) and have sunk about 8K into it - part of which is a 2.5K paint job. All in all worth it, given the return. My hangar mate paid mid 30K for his and has put a few K into it.
For what it's worth, I watch barnstormers perdy close - RV-4s, 6s and 8s, as well as T-18s and some other X-planes and compare notes regularly. Partly because I enjoy it, and partly because I like to see the value in a T-18 repeat itself. I hang out at the local airfield and have a reasonably large circle of influence in aviation.
As much as I would like see T-18s suddenly scream up in value, (as I have one and am not looking for one) from what I see, Don, Lee's numbers accurately represent the real world of pricing with regard to T-18s.

It is what it is, and I'm fine with it. Having said that, there is always the adage of P.T. Barnum.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 pm 

I think it is time to hit the delete button on this subject as I think everyone has made their point and move on to more pleasant pastures ! :) Moo ! ;)

RB C:-)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 am 

Probably so Rich, was a good discussion though. Dan

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I agree fellas ... this topic is now locked ... and yes I have much to say in response but at this point it's just gotten childish.

Thanks to those who have contacted me offline regarding this let's start talking about something else ...

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3