Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:01 pm 

So I added 27 more gallons fuel to top it off, weighed in myself, my wife, the headsets, seat cushions iPad etc, guessing 375# add 10# baggage for the little box of junk we all need, and Ol FEISTY is 1490# and CG is 68.49". That's about 2/3 back from 61 toward 72"....
Anyway, the 65# tail wheel weight is a full 10# more than the legacy weight of 55#. :(
And No, I did not add that Mercruiser trim pot and indicator! Little did I know at the time how little I would need it, and how important weight can be 'back there'.

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm 

At a quick glance, it looks like your math is correct. 65 pounds on the tail sounds very, very high. Should be closer to 50. But if the balance works, go with it.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 pm 

Incidentally, I rely more on percentage CG, than straight arm. The percentage CG should be 15 to 32.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 am 

Here is a pic of the weighing. I weighed it 3 times, tail low, tail high and perfectly level. even a 1/4 bubble off on a carpenter's level is a couple of pounds tail weight.

Attachments:
DSCF1079.JPG
DSCF1079.JPG [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

dickwolff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm 

I hate to post yet another starter related post in this W&B thread, but I am curious if anyone is running the Toyota (Corolla?) starter that was all the rage years ago. I'm sure there is at least one NL article showing how to build a bracket for said starter.

I'd like to shed some pounds too, but I am way to cheap to go with a Skytech.

d

BTW - Nice looking airplane, Scott. See you at OSH.

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm 

Beautiful bird, Scott. As far as CG is concerned, as long as you are in the window, I wouldn't worry about it. The end result will be more or less baggage allowable. The Thorp has a pretty large window. So you should be able to move components to help your baggage situation.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 pm 

dickwolff wrote:
I hate to post yet another starter related post in this W&B thread, but I am curious if anyone is running the Toyota (Corolla?) starter that was all the rage years ago. I'm sure there is at least one NL article showing how to build a bracket for said starter.

I'd like to shed some pounds too, but I am way to cheap to go with a Skytech.

d

BTW - Nice looking airplane, Scott. See you at OSH.

I had a nissan starter on my other engine. I still have the bracket. Its heavy and ugly.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 am 

Several years ago I made up a couple of mounts (NL) from aluminuum and used the Nippon starter, it worked well but seemed to have a short life span, the local auto parts would warranty it. I think I gave my last one to David Read
Watch Ebay for starters for sale. Don't pay a high price ($25 is a fair price) for the Skytec starter as most are not airworthy but the castings are usable. Purchase a Ford Mustang starter from the auto parts store, transfer the motor and solenoid from the new starter to the skytec, put the old parts back together and return the core. You will have a skytec starter for less than a 100 bucks.
A carpenters level is not accurate enough to level a plane, use a plummers level. Compare the two and you will see that the plummers level has a straight glass as compared to the bent glass of a carpenters.

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 pm 

Bob Nuckolls has an article for a starter adapter on his AeroElectric Connection site
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Reference_Docs/Starters/Lycoming_Starter_Adapter.pdf
this is for a Nippondenso starter from a '75-'80 Toyota Corrola.

enjoy

N18JF T-18C #262
Auburn, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm 

Bill Williams wrote:
Several years ago I made up a couple of mounts (NL) from aluminuum and used the Nippon starter, it worked well but seemed to have a short life span, the local auto parts would warranty it. I think I gave my last one to David Read
Watch Ebay for starters for sale. Don't pay a high price ($25 is a fair price) for the Skytec starter as most are not airworthy but the castings are usable. Purchase a Ford Mustang starter from the auto parts store, transfer the motor and solenoid from the new starter to the skytec, put the old parts back together and return the core. You will have a skytec starter for less than a 100 bucks.
A carpenters level is not accurate enough to level a plane, use a plummers level. Compare the two and you will see that the plummers level has a straight glass as compared to the bent glass of a carpenters.

That sounds like a great tip about the SkyTec starters, Bill... thanks!

T-18 N71JE
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE (building)

david read
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm 

Bill that starter worked great for 562 hours and I intend to use it for several more as soon as I get DR back in the air later this year. I made the mount out of steel, your idea sounds like a weight saver.