Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Stick Forces
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm 

I read Bob's post regarding stick forces (in the tail weight thread) and it got me thinking.
If:
a) I bent my control stick to where it was not over center of the control stick socket, or
b) I shortened the length of the control stick from what is called out in the plans,

do you think it would affect the stick forces one would feel when using the control stick as called out per plans?

I ask because I am thinking of installing a curved control stick. I want the control stick to curve back towards me but I dont want to negatively affect anything. Any thoughts on doing that?

PS Disregard the words and arrows. I lifted this photo off the internet to show what I was talking about.

Attachments:
File comment: Curved control stick
cyclic_stick.jpg
cyclic_stick.jpg [ 15.48 KiB | Viewed 10072 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
 Post subject: Re: Stick Forces
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 pm 

Shortening or lengthening would have an obvious affect. Many of our planes are flying with "bent" sticks with no I'll affects. Mine will have a slight "s" in it due to the position of the walking beam.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm 

The S-18 or at least mine has a "bent stick", but not like your pic. It is offset to the side due to the wider cockpit. Not sure if you want a shorter stick ? You need to sit in the A/C with a stick (and grip) that will just clear the bottom of the instrument panel and then trim it down to size/fit and feel. I thought I had the correct stick length with the Ray Allen grips, but I was about 1"-1 1/2" too short. As a result I was always hitting the trim switches at some point in the flight also along with the freq. flip/flop switch. Not sure about the rest of the group, but I fly with my left fore arm resting on my left thigh (no comments from the Scott PLEASE !) :o I now have (2) Infinity Stick Grips installed and they increased the height to a very comfortable position. The switches on the new grips make it near impossible to FUBAR the trim and freq. It also has a switch for CWS and a very nice switch for electric flaps, if and when I get around to that. ???

RB

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm 

yes, that photo is a bit extreme. I was thinking of a gentle curve back towards my torso, moving the top of the stick aft about 2.5" (aft from over center of the control stick socket). I like to bounce any changes off the collective MAS brain trust prior to making many changes.

I will start another thread wanting to buy a ray allen G101 grip as well, but thought I would mention it here too.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:23 pm 

I find even with the "standard S-18 stick", when pulled full aft it sits right in the crotch. I have my seat in the full aft position. With your "curved stick" you might hit skin before you hit the stop ? Best thing I can say is...try it until it feels good !

RB

Profile Personal album  

Doug S
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm 

Easy way to find what fits & 'feels good' is to use soft copper tubing to get shape & then recreate in aluminum.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 pm 

Never thought about "soft copper" tubing ! Great idea ! The sticks I have are "bent" steel from CSA. Probably could have made my own, but the price was right from CSA and it supports our local Vendor.

RB

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:38 pm 

yep, i didnt think about hitting my torso at full aft. good idea about the copper. ill go play with it. thanks for the hints.

Profile Personal album