Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Doug S
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:58 am 

Time for a new windshield for 99KK. Last one crazed after about 6 years (I am guessing due to off-gassing of the vinyl dash top). This time I am making my own. I made an oversize mold from old w/s
& will make an oven from insulating board. - It doesn't look too difficult as it it is a flat wrap (what this means is I will probably only have to throw away my first attempt & get it on the second). Any tips or hints on the forming process would greatly be appreciated.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 am 

Forming temperature is critical. Too cold and it will craze, too hot and you get mark-off from the mold. Use flannel to cover the mold. Some people grease the flannel. Probably the most important is the type of Plexiglas you use. I don't recommend Lexan; it is gummy and will eventually cloud up. The local plastic shop probably has a wealth of info on optics and forming temps. Let us know how it goes.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:59 pm 

Check the NL's . Pretty sure there were a couple of articles on how to bend the clear stuff . One even mentioned the use of a local pizza oven ? ???

Profile Personal album  

Doug S
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:36 am 

Thanks for the info. I will take some pics & keep everyone posted on the results.

lance38dt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 pm 

Doug I have had a lexan windshield for 15 years, 7 for the present one, no heating just cut it to size and bend it around. Does scratch a little easier then plexi but it works for me an you can get it tinted and there is some available that is scratch resistant . Also better impact resistant.

Lance 38DT

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 am 

Lance is right - Lexan (polycarbonate) is tougher, more impact resistant & less prone to cracking, and you can cold bend it. You can even bend it with a sheet metal brake if you need a sharp bend. Some of the newer versions do have a much better scratch resistant surface than plain Lexan. I don't think that they are still as good in that regard as Plexiglas (acrylic), but I'm not up on the latest & greatest. One thing you have to be careful of with Lexan is exposing it to fuel or even concentrated fuel vapor, as it attacks it & causes crazing. You'd want to be careful of splattering or dripping when filling a T-18 tank.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE