Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

fytrplt
 Post subject: Baggage Compartment
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:44 am 

I am at the point of designing and roughing in the baggage compartment in my project Thorp. I know what I did for my flying airplane, of course, but I am looking for any neat tricks in this area. Since the plans don't show how to finish the area behind the seats, I'm asking for what works and what you wish you did better. Thanks in advance.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Baggage Compartment
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:44 pm 

Attachment:
S18%20Baggage%20compt%20and%20Crow%20restraints%20002.jpg
S18%20Baggage%20compt%20and%20Crow%20restraints%20002.jpg [ 1010.38 KiB | Viewed 14888 times ]
My baggage compt. is small . I don't like to carry a bunch of crap ! From the pic you can see the floor area is attached to the "stringers" with "eye bolts" and they are screwed to the floor stringers with floating nut plates . I also installed several nut plates and eye bolts on the aft bulkhead . The rest of the compt. is screwed together with standard screws and additional floating nut plates . The nut plates and eye bolts serve 2 purposes...(1) hold the compt. together and (2) they also allow me to use bungee cords to secure items in the compt . to keep them from hitting me noggin ! ???

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:54 pm 

I have always liked the compartment Rich Designed, not too big, not too small, it's about the right size. I opted to use the entire area and it's ok, it can be viewed on the old mutual aid society album section. I can stand in it, it is strong and tight, just a bit much for the traveling I do. I guess the space is there if I need it, but I don't think it was really needed.....Dan

Scott Stine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:50 pm 

I just finished my baggage comp and essentially copied David Reads design of removable TUBS that sit in a frame level with the top of the elevator push pull tube. It utilizes the maximum space available with the minimal amounts of materials. The tubs are removable for access to the flap motor and the pulleys. Top of the aft baggage wall is removable for access to tail. It is mounted on the back of the bulkhead since my flange is bent forward......if you are building now don't forget to face the flange aft to make installation of the baggage comp easier. Will include pics tonight. This installation can be seen on DR, DW, and my project.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:39 pm 

Scott Stine wrote:
I just finished my baggage comp and essentially copied David Reads design of removable TUBS that sit in a frame level with the top of the elevator push pull tube. It utilizes the maximum space available with the minimal amounts of materials. The tubs are removable for access to the flap motor and the pulleys. Top of the aft baggage wall is removable for access to tail. It is mounted on the back of the bulkhead since my flange is bent forward......if you are building now don't forget to face the flange aft to make installation of the baggage comp easier. Will include pics tonight. This installation can be seen on DR, DW, and my project.

Mine's basically the same - 2 lift out tubs. I riveted on 3/4" angles to the side skins for side support. Back wall is .016" with stiffeners and a 3/4" angle riveted along the lower edge. It attaches to the side angles at each end with screws & nut plates. The back wall panel is then attached to the bulkhead with winged camlocks. Coming down the center over the push-pull tube is a "T" beam made from 2 angles riveted together. That is attached to the bulkhead behind the seats, which I made with a 3/4" angle running the full width at the level of the bottom of the opening (I "adjusted" that extrusion to something less than 90 deg. to match the plane of the side angles). I basically framed out that opening in the seat back frame all the way around with extruded angle. I don't have any digital pictures right now. I know that whatever you make will be good, Bob.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:48 pm 

I would be interested to see some pictures of these baggage compartments installed in the plane.

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:11 pm 

That should be a couple pics of Scott's baggage compartment. The tubs are made of .020 and have around 1/2" clearance to the belly skin, rudder and flap cable mechanisms. He reinforced the framework enough that you can lay across them while working back in the tail cone. Karen and I bought a couple of duffle bags that fit snugly into the tubs. Pack them full, drop them in and you can lay longer stuff across the top. I believe you can't have too much storage space on occasion, but that doesn't mean you have to fill it up every trip.

Scott Stine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:37 pm 

Profile Personal album  

Scott Stine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:39 pm 

Profile Personal album  

Scott Stine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:45 pm 

All of the pieces of the structure are bent up pieces of 020 and 032. The only extrusions are on the aft lower baggage comp wall. They are vertical and transfer load from either side of the center piece to the bulkhead and floor and centerline extrusion.

Profile Personal album  

Scott Stine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:49 pm 

Profile Personal album  

Scott Stine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:53 pm 

Tubular brace is on the aft outboard corners. An area that has proven through extensive field research to be a weak point.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:44 am 
Baggage, you guys need to travel with my wife. She can take anything not bolted down. On a trip to California I weighed the baggage in at 138 pounds. Besides you will need room for Model A Ford blocks and crankshaft. Make it big.
I do like the removable pans for access to the inards.

dickwolff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:40 am 

Another great thread, guys. Love the pics. This is my last area for my restore as well.

Damn..... suddenly the end is looking further away. Does anyone have a baggage compartment kit that I can just shake out of the box?

;-)

D

Profile Personal album  

ljkrume
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:49 pm 

Here's a version of baggage compartment I posted in NL#99 (1996). Actually added a floor about 2" off of the fuselage bottom with short ribs between bulkheads for strength. The intention was for max volume for "baggy" things, although it does handle weight easily.

Les Krumel,
Albuquerque

Attachments:
016A.jpg
016A.jpg [ 311.56 KiB | Viewed 14726 times ]
Baggage NL99.jpg
Baggage NL99.jpg [ 67.71 KiB | Viewed 14727 times ]
File comment: Two floor supports for baggage each side, plus side guard over flap cable and center tunnel.
016B.jpg
016B.jpg [ 334.91 KiB | Viewed 14727 times ]
 Profile Personal album