Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:36 pm 

I am thinking I would like to be able to remove my whole panel should it ever be necessary for me to do some work behind the panel. To do that, I would need an easy way to disconnect all the wires that run from the panel to the strobes, nav lights, landing lights, firewall forward, etc, etc. I was thinking I would connect all those wires that run from the panel to somewhere on the plane with a 25 pin DSUB connector (and using as many DSUB connectors as required). That way I could just disconnect the DSUB's, unbolt the panel from the longerons, and pull it out. Is that a good idea, or are there reasons that I should not do that?

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:56 pm 

I used the 9 and 15 pin connectors a lot to connect all the trim servo wires that run from the relays and led read out indicators on the panel . I also used them to connect the servo relays . I only used them for very low amp out put items . High draw items from FW forward like positive from the battery/alternator to the avionics panel/bus I used heavy duty quick disconnect fittings . I believe there were only (3) of these behind the panel . I did not attach the DIN connectors to the airframe , just bundled them together and tie wrapped them out of the way . ::)

Dan can chime in here because I am pretty sure he used the computer Sub DIN connectors also . :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 pm 

That's a good point Rich, I am not talking about any fat wires going through a DSUB connector. I'll deal with unhooking those wires individually should panel removal become necessary.

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 pm 

D-Sub pins can only carry aprox 3 amps, for the nav, strobe, etc, heavy amps I used Molex connectors, they can handle upto 15 amps. I have one 25 pin D-Sub connector and one Molex connector on each side of the panel and one 25 pin D-Sub in the middle of the panel that has all of the avionics grounds connected and the big wire from the battery attaches to a terminal post for power distribution. There are also two D-Sub connectors on the back of the engine monitor that have all of the sensor wires. I also have quick disconnects on the pitot/static lines. With this setup I can remove my panel in about a half hour.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 pm 

Good point Bruce . I use the Molex connectors also . :-*

RB

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 pm 

Yup, my panel is an install and plug in, Parker Hannafin fittings on the pitot are quick disconnect. Wire the plane, wire the panel, install panel and plug it in.......OOrah!! I'm getting to Old and stiff to crawl around under the panel. The radio and Transponder are above the glovebox, the Glovebox is rigid and it supports both radio and transponder, I have no instrument support struts attached to the airframe, the panel is self contained, this has worked out very well...Dan

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 pm 

Bruce
That is exactly what I needed to know. I never knew about the approximate max amps for the DSUB and Molex connectors. Thank you. I plan to use the quick disconnect fittings for the pitot/static lines too.

Profile Personal album