Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

motoflightguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:18 pm 

Has anyone here installed a landing light in the leading edge of the wing? I just bought a T18 project, and I will be rebuilding the left outer wing, and I would like to install a landing light while I'm doing it. I was unable to find any examples. It seems like the best approach would be to add an extra nose rib with the correct spacing for the light, and put a plate between the 2 ribs for mounting. Any advice?

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:51 pm 

Mine shines through the gap cover between the inner and outer wing panels. It’s a 2” motorcycle light I got from super bright leds that cost less than $50 each. One on each side mounted sideways to what they intended so it’s stays on the inner wing rib.

motoflightguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:22 pm 

Yeah I do like how clean your setup is Dave. Upon thinking about this more, I might skip trying to put one in the leading edge and go another route

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:35 pm 

try the lights in the opening of the cowl inlets. They work great and don't effect the cooling.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:38 pm 

I have the landing/recognition lite in the left outer wing . For some reason I can not upload pics from the pic/doc files on my computer . I got the info with detailed instructions ,including drawings and a materials list from the old News Letters . Remember those . I made a copy of that article that is about 5 pages long . I do not remember who drafted the article , but maybe Lee Walton does . Speaking of Lee , hey Mr. Administrator why can't I upload data that had been done in the past ? I get the "Red Message at the top of my reply that sez "Unable to upload " Blah , blah , blah .

If you still want info and pics of my light and the article email me and I'll send it to you at great time and expense ! RB OUT .

Rich Brazell
rx115@cox.net
NX115RX

Profile Personal album  

pmandel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:12 am 

Mine are in the wingtips. Work great. Thanks probably go to Lee Walton since this was his wing. I don't think I have a pic of what's inside, but Lee might know what it is.

Beaverton OR

motoflightguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:54 pm 

pmandel wrote:
Mine are in the wingtips. Work great. Thanks probably go to Lee Walton since this was his wing. I don't think I have a pic of what's inside, but Lee might know what it is.

Yeah I have seen the posts from Lee on that setup. How does it work as a landing light for actually landing at night? Does it throw a good amount of light? Not aimed down too far?

Profile Personal album  

MartyG
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 am 

I have leading edge lights in both wings. I didn't build it though so I can't be much help on that end, but I did replace the lights with the "Double Spotlight" from Flyleds.com and I also used their wig-wag switch. They are incredibly bright and use very little power.

martygrosse@yahoo.com

motoflightguy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:18 pm 

MartyG wrote:
I have leading edge lights in both wings. I didn't build it though so I can't be much help on that end, but I did replace the lights with the "Double Spotlight" from Flyleds.com and I also used their wig-wag switch. They are incredibly bright and use very little power.

That's actually why I was thinking about it. I have a spare Flyleds Double Spot that I was going to install. But I think i'll just make the wing rebuild a little simpler by not doing a leading edge light and figure out a wing tip solution later.

Profile Personal album  

pmandel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:50 pm 

motoflightguy wrote:
pmandel wrote:

Yeah I have seen the posts from Lee on that setup. How does it work as a landing light for actually landing at night? Does it throw a good amount of light? Not aimed down too far?

The light is awesome. Aiming is up to you, adjustable. Jump into this night landing video at the 7:30 point. Watch the runway markings and "31L" light up:
https://youtu.be/WRaDsFm6Eg0

Beaverton OR