Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

qawtbh
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:10 am 

I have a standard wing T18. What is the proper method
to remove the gap covers ? I see screws on the bottom
but I thought there was a single retaining screw on the back to
"un-wrap" the covers off. Any pictures or diagrams
would be helpful.

dickwolff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:33 am 

There's really nice drawing in the plans.

d

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:47 am 

Lower the flaps, look at the area between the flap and aileron there may be a bolt facing fwd. It can be accessed with a socket and long extension. This is for the gap cover mid wing.
Phil

Profile Personal album  

qawtbh
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:56 pm 

Phil
Does the bolt tension the gap covers only?
There are three screws on the bottom of the wing
on the trailing edge of the gap cover. So does the
bolt you speak of completely disconnect the upper gap cover
on the trailing edge ?

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:34 pm 

Because the Thorp is a plans built airplane, there are many variations on how the wing gap seals are installed and secured. If you note the dwg, it shows a screw in the leading edge of the gap seal. This gap seal does not go beyond the main beam. Others have a seal that wraps around the entire wing with no screw in the front, but two to up to as many as six at bottom to hold it in trail and one at the very back which goes through the rear beam attach fitting and to the seal rear bracket to pull it snug. The bolt or screw can be accessed as Phil indicated above, by lowering the flap. Be sure to loosen the tension screw at the rear before removing the bottom screws.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:00 pm 

dondday wrote:
... Be sure to loosen the tension screw at the rear before removing the bottom screws.

I think Don meant to say to remove the bottom screws before loosening the tension screw.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

1albee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:35 am 

I defer to the more knowledgeable guys on this forum. I have had two Thorps, both just used the bolt in rear to attaché and tension the fairings mid wing. If there any additional fasteners in yours, make note where they came from. Just in case the size and length are different for there position.
Phil

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Don is referring to the C-Wing .. the standard wing has several variations but the most common is the one described. Flaps down and look forward under the gap seal .. there should be a screw or AN-3 that puts tension on the gap cover. Loosen this then the screws underneath if you have them and the cover comes off.You may need to disconnect your push pull on the aileron too.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:29 pm 

Assuming you have several screws holding the bottom of the seal to the wing, taking those screws out without loosening the tension at rear of seal will likely damage the hold down screw and holes at bottom of wing as screw are being removed. Loosen the tension first.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:30 pm 

Assuming you have several screws holding the bottom of the seal to the wing, taking those screws out without loosening the tension at rear of seal will likely damage the hold down screw and holes at bottom of wing as screw are being removed. Loosen the tension first.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm 

When it comes to wing gap seals, regardless of what type of wings a Thorp has, being standard or "C", gap seals vary in configuration and attachment. I've seen seals at the "D" section only and seen some which go from trailing bottom edge to trailing top edge. On those equipped with seal all the way around, the assembly should have no less than two screws at bottom where the seal is even with the back edge of the skin and when wrapped around, a long screw or bolt (AN, MS, NAS type) with long or all thread is used to reach nutplate in bracket at rear of seal to provide the required tension to the seal.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 pm 

dondday wrote:

When it comes to wing gap seals, regardless of what type of wings a Thorp has, being standard or "C", gap seals vary in configuration and attachment. I've seen seals at the "D" section only and seen some which go from trailing bottom edge to trailing top edge. On those equipped with seal all the way around, the assembly should have no less than two screws at bottom where the seal is even with the back edge of the skin and when wrapped around, a long screw or bolt (AN, MS, NAS type) with long or all thread is used to reach nutplate in bracket at rear of seal to provide the required tension to the seal.

Sorry Don... with that kind of a full wrap-around cover, like I have, the bottom screws are installed first, then the tension bolt has to be tightened to align the screw holes on the top, followed by installing the top screws. The process is reversed to remove the cover - i.e., the top screws are removed first before relieving the "tension". Relieving the tension on the "tension bolt" first would result in extra wear & tear on those top screw assemblies. As you so clearly pointed out, there are many different ways that builders come up with to accomplish the task, and in re-reading the original post/question, it seems clear to me that your advice was exactly right. I'm going back to hide in my cave again now.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

dondday
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm 

I was giving removal sequence on wing seals installed in the same way mine are. If I could remember how to load pictures, I would and show you what I'm talking about. My seals have four screws at the bottom near the aft end and a tension AN3-27 bolt at top which pulls it snug. I do not have screws on top side holding the seal in place. To keep my seals in place, a piece of angle was riveted to the bottom surface of the top just a fraction of an inch smaller than the gap is wide and the tension nutplate holding bracket is also just a tad smaller than the gap is wide, which keeps the seal very much in place without side to side movement.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 am 
I've seen more T18's than you can shake a stick at and no two had the same gap covers and the way that were attached. As simple as the S18 gap cover is. Mine is plans built with the mount screw in the front of the rib, Bob has screws on the trailing edge where it meets the spar, go figure

blackopsspook
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:05 pm 

I hate to create a new post to get an answer to this question, but I was wondering about this gap cover issue. I need to take my wing off to move the plane to my new location. Can anyone tell me which drawing specifically has this information? My plane was built in 1967 and has the original wing, etc, and I'm going down to FL in a couple of weeks to remove the wing. I had an AP take a look at it when I was down there a month ago to move most of the hanger, but he couldn't ascertain how the wing was removed either. I would appreciate any help, pictures, reference to drawing numbers, etc.

::N18VP::