Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:12 am 

Hi,

It has been a long time since I posted here. After Oshkosh last year I sold my Aeronca Chief and now am nearly flightless. OVer the winter it was no big deal here in WI as it is a pain to fly in the hard winter. But now I'm really frustrated about not having a plane.....

Anyhow with my cash strapped finances and kids in college etc I am trying to sort out and think how I might be able to limp along and still have some hope to stay in the game.

I would really like an S-18. But with the finances buying a flying one isn't a real possibility. And I know with my schedule and how busy we are I know outright building right now is probably overly optimistic. And I want to fly before the turn of the next century! My warped mind has dreamed up One possibility. It too will take some time but...

I was wondering about buying or resurecting a flying (Or nearly so) standard T-18. Then build up a new full S-18 wing. Then mount that new wing on the flying T-18. Set the T-18 wings aside, and then start building the S-18 fuselage. When that is nearly done, get a N number and then remove the S-18 wing and install it on the newly completed S-18 fuselage. Then put the original T-18 back to gether and sell it or have it for my kids etc?

Is this scenerio even possible? Can the S-18 wing and center section fit on the narrower stock T-18 fuslelage?

If it is, then maybe I could find a way to collect a few dollars to buy S-18 plans and start working on the wing.

Wife wants a 4 place airplane. But really by the time we have the finances and realistically look at it, the kids will be pretty much grown up and moved out (we hope!). And I simply can't get the Thorp out of my mind. It offers everything except the "extra" two seats for how we would likely use the plane.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:42 am 
The S-18 wing will fit the T-18. There is drawings that show how the modifications are done. The big difference is the 2" narrow fuselage of the T.
Here's deal for you........I have a S-18 wing that came off a damaged S-18. The center section is not damaged, but the outboard panels need re-skinned,rear spars and probably a rib or two. It's yours for the taking, I will not pack it, ship it, might help you load it and un-lock my hanger. It; s in sunny Lakeland ,florida
It's more work than it's worth to convert it to a T-18

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am 

Dude, don't give up on flight! ;D

I think you are on the right track, with kids in collage already what's the chance of everybody going flying at the same time. You can pick up an o-290 ship pretty inexpensively.

A free set of wings sounds like a pretty good deal. Also I saw a post a while back for a set for sale. I think Cubes might have a fuse. for sale. There are a lot of projects out there to turn into a fast build kit ;)

Profile Personal album  

ljkrume
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:01 pm 

No problem putting an S-18 wing on a T-18. That's what I've done from scratch; surely there are others around. I think the only difference is trimming the inner wing skins to the contour of the narrower fuselage. Common designation is T-18C. It refers to the convertible (folding) wing by Sutherland.

The thing to be careful with is that pre-existing holes on assemblies made by different builders may not have the same spacing; not to the 3rd decimal. These in particular are best to be match drilled in the process of building. If necessary, make and install fresh fittings on the spar without the holes and match drill or use a transfer punch to get the fit you want at the fuselage. That's an important connection and you want it to be good.

Les Krumel
Albuquerque

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:20 pm 

I just got done manufacturing a set of 3 inch wide 522s to do exactly that.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Doug S
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:41 am 

T-18 Project just came up on Barnstormers -
http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=1028489
No idea of builder or quality, but it may be worth a look-

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:18 pm 

Interesting ! "The jugs were stolen in the divorce !" Must have been the other guy ? ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That explains where Andrew Robinson's been

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm 

Keep the plane, replace the jugs with bigger ones!

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:29 pm 

Bill, sent you a PM about the wings you offered.

Do you have any pictures? Just trying to get a better idea what I might be getting myself into. But I'm VERY intrigued with the offer. My wife not as much. She is still holding out for a 4 place.

I want to keep my hand in aviation and the dream alive and the juices flowing.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:40 pm 
I have been going faster than a one arm wall paper hanger in a 40 MPH wind. I will try and answer all your questions tomorrow
If wife-e is not for it , you will have a long row to hoe..........

Doug S
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 am 

If you have TWO Thorps you will have 4 seats!

dickwolff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 am 

Happy wife, happy life.

Don't ask me how I know this.

D

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:53 am 

Not to throw another wrench in this discussion, but I know of a Roberts S18 fuselage that is for sale. In case folks don't know, the S18 was reconfigured to a 4 place airplane many years ago by Jim Roberts. I have those plans, but I'm not willing to sell, or support them. This fuselage is not complete. It would require some experience to get it done.
I flew the original Roberts S18 out of Ruckel field where Terry lives back in the 90s. It flew awesome.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 am 

Wow that does throw a wrench in the discusion. Sounds like a perfect solution to TomD's delema. Bill's wing on Roberts Fuselage, some experience needed...

Maybe he could get Thierry to help. What happend to that Canadian anyway? It has been 6 months since his last progress report.

Profile Personal album