Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

alphaone
 Post subject: outer wing trailing edge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 pm 

Ok for my first official question....
I was looking at the pieces of the outer wing and found a crack in the trailing edge (see pic)
It goes through a rivit hole into the radius of the bend.
i went through our scrap metal bin and found a piece of titanium.... the right length and width for a patch ( i know its overkill but it was handy)
My question is ; is this a high stress area would a patch be sufficient or should i bend and drill a new one.
I Have made patches like this before, but i am unfamiliar with the wing loading in this area... the member is uninstalled so either way it is an easy fix.

Attachments:
IMG_20131002_165906.jpg
IMG_20131002_165906.jpg [ 35.06 KiB | Viewed 12025 times ]

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'd patch it with 2024 myself but ideally just bend up another rear spar ... Probably less work than the patch.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 pm 

One of the problems buying a "project." I was lucky and found no such problems with my project . Thierry in Canada..."Don't ya know !" has first hand experience with trying to repair another builders mistakes . His Forum pics will make your eyes water ! Hopefully you don't find any more . A patch would work , but I would go ahead and bend a new piece just to gain the experience . A careful QA of the remaining parts might be a good idea . ;) BOOM !

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 pm 

Strike one :o
Don't loose you're time to try repair this parts. Cutting and bending a new one is more easy. Never forget AC43-13. Always repair with same material and thickness.
Welcome to my world...

C-FPVE #091

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:59 pm 

Why start out a "new" AC with "patches ?" "Patches...I don't need no stinkin patches !" ???

Profile Personal album  

alphaone
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 am 

Thanks for the advise... i think i will go with a hybrid idea... im going to patch this one just to get some practice in.... and bend a spar when i have a brake available... i will post pics of my patch to show others.
i know its not optimal to start a build this way but if it keeps me moving forward.
Btw i do understand dissimilar metals and the spec.... ( just so you dont think im a retarded newbie) i was trying to do some out of the box engineering with available materials (ie: free)... i dont think i can easily obtain aluminum this thin. We use mostly composits.... .023 titanium was in the bin.... talked to a structure guy... he was not put off by the idea as this is built as an experimental, but the metal aside i think good building such as rivet spacing, proper corner radii, and deburring, will be the bigger issue. Dont ask me what i was thinking about doing with a bucket full of cherrymax....lol
i dont have unlimited funds as i have teenage daughters and a grandson... so i take opportunities to save a buck but do a good job... believe me i will not do what the builder of thierry's acft did... thats criminal.

alphaone
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:47 am 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Why start out a "new" AC with "patches ?" "Patches...I don't need no stinkin patches !" ???

Have you ever seen an aircraft being built new? They dont throw away a structure because of errors....small stuff yes. WE are humans not robots... things get broken and misdrilled .

alphaone
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 am 

Pacer 20 wrote:
Strike one :o
Don't loose you're time to try repair this parts. Cutting and bending a new one is more easy. Never forget AC43-13. Always repair with same material and thickness.
Welcome to my world...

IS that the canadian athorities version of the FAR?

alphaone
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:14 pm 

Sorry guys I did not have my cup of coffee before i started writing this morning...

mattst18
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:17 pm 

No wonder, your post shows it was before 3 am!!! :o

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:17 pm 

Hang in there Philip, there is a wealth of info on this Forum. There is a bit of banter from time to time but all in fun and at the end of the day most generally all will cause a good laugh. Don't hesitate to ask those questions, we want you to be successful at completing your project the words to explain how rewarding it is haven't been created yet so I won't try. Keep moving on it, you will do well....Dan

Victor J Thompson
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:43 pm 

Phillip: AC43.13-1B is a FAA document.

AC 43.13-1B - Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Inspection and Repair

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... ntID/99861

In Canada we follow Transport Canada ~ The Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs).

As has been suggested patch or rebuild the part. I would lean to the later as it is off aircraft however a patch will work.

Welcome aboard.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 pm 

Dan is right ! We will pull each other's chain until there is no chain left ! All in good clean fun . ??? There is not one person in this group that has not been in your place with regard to repair or replace a part . We only offer advice or recommendations based upon "been there , done that ! " ;)

NX115RX

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm 

Go to Kentucky Dam next weekend, Philip. you REALLY need to talk to some builders.

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:14 pm 

The value of all the Vans or Midget Mustang and Thorp is the airframe building construction! Take your time and if you have a doubt leave the parts and work on another piece on your plane. I have always 3 different schedule on my T-18. If I work and I don't find the information I need, I step to the next assembly on my work bench so I never stuck in place.
Since my first post I put almost 2000$ on the table and around 220 hours on the Hobbs. :-\

C-FPVE #091