Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

efhadley
 Post subject: Wing procedure
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:33 am 

I am ready to mate the center section to the fuselage. Is there a written procedure in one of the service letters that covers this. Any cautions or suggestions!!!

Thanks Everett

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Wing procedure
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 pm 

Take your time ! This is NOT a one man operation ! :o I was lucky as my "project" already had the fus. fittings installed. My center wing was "matched hole tooling" and when I drilled a pilot hole in the center puched spar web it lined up PERFECTLY with the fus. and spar fittings ! I maybe had to ream out a thousands to get the bolt in ? I used a set of modified saw horses to initally set the wing in position. Then I used two floor jacks with 2 x 4 supports under the wing to carefully "jack" the center wing into position. Jacking up one side a little then the other side to get the bolt holes in position. Remember it is just me and the wife and she is crying seeing 27 years of work ! I believe there is a NL that walks you thru the process....not my process. I was also lucky as the rear spar fittings lined up almost perfect also.

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:42 pm 
Bob and I mauled this over two ROUQUE DEAD MAN beers and came to the conclusion you did not give enough information as to where you are in the project. We took the 601 center section before it was installed in the fuselage and marked center, mate it up to the main spar which should have a center line marked. We punched ours. Lining up center lines and using two 1/4" thick flat plates across the top ,clamp the two together which will level the two. Drill your attach fitting holes in both wing spar web and 601. Using the spar bolts to hold the fittings in place drill and rivet. Bob suggested that you remove the front floorboard to access the 601 if it's installed.

stug
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 am 

I was just in the process of making a new 601 bulkhead to match an older wing, so those handy hints on getting the 2 parts to match were nicely timed and may have saved me from a bit of rework. Thanks.
One question. I need to drill the 602 fittings out to 3/8 hole for the attach

Attachments:
DSCN6022.JPG
DSCN6022.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 5324 times ]
DSCN6023.JPG
DSCN6023.JPG [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 5324 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 am 

A good sharp dill bit should do just fine.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

efhadley
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 am 

Should have provided more info. on the origional post. My rear spar attachment points have the pilot holes drilled. I want to verify the alignment and angle of incident. newsletters suggest angle of incident boards parallel to the fuselage and check incident per plans. Was looking for best location to place level on fuselauge? Newsetter wants wings parellel to chord line, and what should the angle of incident be set at.

thnaks, Everett