Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

DanaL
 Post subject: Need IA consultation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am 

Hey all,

The local I.A.'s don't do anything with recovering fabric aircraft and I have a situation with my Great Lakes that requires a consultation before I get any deeper into the restoration. I will pay Very well for their time. Prefer someone in S.C. or close as I will need the pre-cover inspection eventually signed off.

Dana LaBounty

Jeff J
 Post subject: Re: Need IA consultation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:18 pm 

Strictly speaking, there is no requirement for a "pre-cover inspection". It is pretty much just a courtesy in case the person who signs off the covering work isn't the same A&P who does (or supervises) the work but I think they would be a fool to start a covering job without inspecting what they are covering. Therefore, any A&P can sign off a pre-cover inspection if you desire to have one done to satisfy the IA who will do the final sign off for the covering job and submit the 337. Ideally, it would be the same A&P from start to finish. The only thing I can think you would need an A&P with IA for before the covering job is complete is for major repairs to the structure. Having said all of that, you still have to deal with the locals and how they want it. In that respect, mechs are no different than FSDOs. Many like to make up their own regs.

Anyone who disagrees, please feel free to point out the regulation that specifies a pre-cover inspection must be done and who can sign it off.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:26 pm 

I believe recovering requires a FAA Form 337 for a major repair. There may be a IA willing to sign off this form if they know the A&P doing the work VERY well. If this is a certified aircraft, it requires a A&P to preform the work or closely supervise the work being preformed then sign off the work as airworthy before the IA inspected the work. It would be very difficult to inspect the aircraft structure after the recover work was preformed. You may be thinking of an experimental build that does require a pre cover inspection prior to closing a structure. Remember that if this is a normal category certified aircraft, you must follow the instructions to the letter from the manufacture of the approved covering process, it is there Approved Data on there STC. One additional thing, if taken care of properly, a recover will last 20+ years. This will be the best chance to inspect what is being covered for issues and make repairs. As to finding a IA, you may find someone is at your local EAA chapter.

Phil
118BC

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:00 am 

Talk to Susan Dusenberry up in Lake Norman. She is president of EAA's Vintage Aircraft Division. Find her through EAA. Steve Hawley down in St. Matthews may be able to help, as well. Jon Goldenbaum, president of Poly Fibre, is an expert on the subject and loves to talk older airplanes.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

stevehawley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:28 am 

Dana, I’m about 10 minutes away from you in the T-18 and would be happy to do the inspection for you. I’m A&P with IA and have restored 21 planes in my retirement. Just bought a Bucker Jungman that is advertised on Barnstormers. Will go to Green Bay after Oshkosh to bring it home. Let me know when you would like.
Steve Hawley

Jeff J
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:27 am 

If all of the inspection holes are openned like they should be, then most airframes can be adaquately inspected post covering. Obviously it isn’t ideal but if it is good enough access for key items to be inspected at annual then it would serve well enough to return a covering job to service. Unfortunately, it is common practice to leave the inspection holes sealed even when an AD requires access. Mind you, as an IA, I am not talking about signing off the work, only block 7 on the 337. The person signing off the actual work takes responsibility for condition of the airframe and documenting what they did. Some people are justifiably not comfortable with how it should work due to liability concerns.

A little bondo and some paint can hide just as much as the fabric. The only way around that would be to inspect the airframe as it is stripped, prior to any other prep or repairs then again for pre-cover.

If you are unfamiliar with the rules, this thread is centered on a Type Certificated airplane where the rules are different than amateur built.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album