Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

jrevens
 Post subject: N89ER
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:57 am 

We had an accident at a local airport (LMO) this last Friday, 2/16. There is a young man who recently joined this forum by the name of Jay Davis ("HOVA" on the forum), very excited about just purchasing a T-18, N89ER. I've been told he is a good pilot, with tailwheel experience, but needed a checkout to satisfy insurance requirements. He contacted a good friend of mine (Bill), who is a former T-18 owner and extremely qualified instructor/pilot. They flew, landed at LMO and departed the runway after landing, flipping over. Bill was seriously hurt, but is out of the hospital now and recovering from broken ribs, a punctured lung, severe arm laceration, fractured vertebrae, and head trauma with many cuts and abrasions. He didn't remember anything until waking up in the hospital. He's an amazing, tough old bird. He seems in relatively good spirits, and we're hopeful for a full recovery.

Jay suffered severe damage to his spinal cord, and he is paralyzed below his arms at this time. The prognosis is unsure as far as I know now. I believe that he had aspirations of becoming an airline pilot. It seems he is a pretty remarkable young man... it is so sad, but he apparently has a very strong will to recover. We're all praying for him.

Apparently, a rudder cable broke. According to someone who saw it, there appeared to be a "flat spot" right where it failed. The least of considerations, but the airplane looks like a total loss.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

fulcrumflyer
 Post subject: Re: N89ER
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 pm 

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/02/t ... ident.html

Spanky

Profile Personal album  

DaveDABQ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm 

Damn. Very sad to hear about fellow aviators suffering such a terrible mishap. Just saw a report last week about Thorp N600HH being involved in a landing accident. Wishing all involved, and their families, strength to overcome their injuries...

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm 

I was sure, when I posted my first comments, that Jay Davis was a guy I had recently met and talked to about the T-18. In seeing the picture on the report provided in the link from Spanky, this is apparently not the same man. My comments about a young man having aspirations of becoming an airline pilot are probably not correct, and I apologize for that.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Binder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm 

Wow, sorry to hear about this. Sad day that it happened and injured 2 people.

The other landing incident was just west of STL feb 8th. It's right near my friend's chiropractic office. Plane looks trashed although the report says only a broken arm.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm 

I hope everyone makes a full recovery.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album