Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flydr2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:40 pm 

Hi all,
I've just completed some arduino code for 4 cyl EGT/CHT gauges as well as codes for a 3 tank fuel gauge.

I've posted these as a start point for whoever wants to make their own. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
You'll have to change/adjust the code to whatever your requirements are and test it before use.

I'm not a programmer just a pilot who does this as a hobby.
Hope this will be useful to someone...

I've attached the code and some pictures.

Cheers!

Attachment:
EGT_CHT.zip [2.42 KiB]
Downloaded 595 times

Attachment:
fuel.zip [2.47 KiB]
Downloaded 517 times

flydr2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:37 pm 

I've done it to my Thorp, servos installed on all trim tabs (AP not finished yet). I'll post instructions and pictures once I've finished and tested the AP.

I've got a few more projects on the go and don't have time to finish the code for the AP. The tricky part are the PID's but it's just time.

It includes it's own GPS which can be used for heading hold. Or use NMEA output from any source...
Altitude, gyro, accelerometer, compass from a GY-87 sensor.
A large part of the code is done but still lots to do.

Cheers!

edit: I was replying to someone but i think he deleted his post....

dickwolff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:15 pm 

Sorry... that was me.

I was saying that I want to experiment with using an RC flight stabilizer board driving a trim tab to act as a wing leveler/heading hold/gps tracker. The Fergilli PQ12 can take a servo signal from an Ardupilot or similar. All the PID is already built into these boards and many have gyros, gps, magnetometers, and baro sensors on them. If they can fly large quad copters, surely they can fly a T18.

TruTrak introduced a new conceptual AP this year called the ECO. It is basically what we are talking about here: Just a gyro stabilizer controlling a servo which drives a trim tab.

Keep us posted! This is fascinating. But first I have to get mine flying.

D

I'd

Profile Personal album  

flydr2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 pm 

I bought and tried an Ardupilot AMP 2.5 or 2.6 I forgot now... But it was more trouble than building my own.

These are great for RC but the code is extreme and very hard to adapt to regular planes. The problem is input (Heading, Alt,etc..) Then the PID's and all the rest can't be done while flying.. I quickly decided that it was much easier to design my own.

Actually I learned allot from the AMP... It was designed and does a great job at that to be operated from a RC transmitter but trying to modify inputs to take encoders, switches and buttons was harder than I imagined. Also I wanted an LCD on which to view the info.

Anyhow, I'll probably have time to finish and test my AP in a month or so.

Cheers
Marc

bfinney
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:55 pm 

Marc,
What hardware are you using to read the EGT/CHT temps?

I'm currently "experimenting" with a MPU6050 and HMC5883 breakout boards from Sparkfun which is what's on the GY-87 board.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

flydr2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:21 pm 

I bought those on Ebay. I used the 0 volt compensation ones.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Channel-J-Type-K-Type-Thermocouple-Amplifier-AD8494-AD8495-Arduino-Comp-/231438662460?var=&hash=item35e2d1bb3c
[/url]
The HMC5883 is a real pain to calibrate. I had to use python to get it calibrated properly.

Maybe now someone has made a better calibration script for Arduino but at the time I spent weeks trying different things to get it to work properly.

An other issue is that it will show a different north depending on where you are in regards to Latitude... (I've not checked this yet but I know it will affect it just not sure by how much). I will on my next trip up North... I'm currently at 18 lat and will be going to 45 lat. I'll test it then...

Right now I'm working on Airspeed, Alt, Vario, Timer, Slip, Compass (Maybe) backup unit with the same size screen as the EGT.
I've got the airspeed to show True airspeed (That was allot of Math!).

PS: The display I've used are sunlight readable from http://buydisplay.com but I'm not sure if other brands with the same colors are. I talked to an engineer there and he recommended the Black on White ones so I ordered some (receiving next week). I only tested the Green ones and they are Great!... Same in the sun as indoors... If the White ones are better I'll be impressed

Hope this helps
Marc