Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

smokyray
 Post subject: Tailwind/Thorp Relation?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm 

Lee,
I was reading this month's Sport Aviation and saw this letter to the editor from a guy who grew up with a Tailwind. In the article his Dad mentions that John Thorp belonged to his EAA chapter and saw a Tailwind and liked it. He then took measurements, flipped it over used aluminum and made a few mods and the T-18 was born. Urban legend?

V/R
Smokey
:D
Letter to Editor

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:19 pm 

I saw that too....I think I spent an extra minute on the throne because of it. I had a blast at OSH, and I don't want to raise a dark veil over a party atmosphere, but I was a little taken aback that the OSH patch in the beer stein given to all of us who flew our planes in was a tailwind. I know it's Whitman field and all. Now I gotta tailwind patch and a longeze patch. Gawd forbid next time I go.....and they give me an RV patch!!!!

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I obviously was not there but I seriously doubt that. I don't know about you but other than the flat sides I don't see any resemblance between the thorp and the tailwind.

The overall dimensions are different, different airfoil, stab vs elevator cantilever vs strut braced wing, A-frame vs Wittman style gear ... I can keep going on but there are many more differences than similarities.

I see many more similarities from John Thorps previous designs in the T-18 than anything else. I'm sure he admired the W8 as did most homebuilders of the day did (they're fast!) but a basis for the T-18? I think not.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 pm 

I saw that too Guys, I went on to do a little more research and now I'm thinkin that the black bird was derived from a Stearman with a flat tire ?? And maybe no kapeller?? Dan

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

PROpeller, COMpeller, coyote, Hyenna, my sister In law says "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
I just got back under the clouds after a failed attempt to meet up with Washington Pilots Association, Green River Chapter, breakfast fly out. Too many low clouds in the target area.
'FEISTY' flew great. It didn't seem upside down to me?

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:06 pm 

That happens to me every time I try to meet up with the Flying Elvis'......Utah Chapter........

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm 

The STUPID thing is that the guy presented this "story" in a serious manner, as if it were really a little known fact. How ridiculous! If the event even occurred, it was obviously a statement made in jest - simply joking among friendly fans of a great airplane design. The fact remains that the T-18 and the Tailwind are so different in so many fundamental ways, that the author of that piece should be ashamed of himself. "Johnny" Thorp indeed... give me a break!!!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE