Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

dondday
 Post subject: Traveling abroad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:46 pm 

Hello Thorpies,

The older we get the more melancolic we become. We start thinking of the way it used to be and wish gas was back to $0.07/gal, milk was $0.05/gal, etc, then we start droping items into our "Bucket List". My bucket list has a cycle ride to my old hometownof Panama and the other one is to fly my T-18 to Panama.

In about a day or two I will be traveling through Mexico and Central America with a friend. The plan was to start today, but seems mother nature is messing with our plan. I am stuck in Houston at a friends' house waiting for weather to clear a bit and will head for to the border tomorrow or the next day. Our goal is to reach Costa Rica by next Monday where I will continue unto Panama while my riding buddy will stay in Costa Rica. All this will take place on Motorcycles.

My intent is to stop at some of those countries aviation agencies if I can to find out about flying, landing and or overflying their territories. What requirements they may have, etc. Has anyone done that with their Thorp, know anything about it or have positive inputs and suggestions?

I

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Traveling abroad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 pm 

I was Stationed at Rodman N.S. for 22 months back in the late 70's . ??? Sil & I lived on base housing at Farfan . I know a lot has changed since I left . Not even sure what Howard AFB is used for now ? I give you Muey big ones for flying over miles and miles of jungle ! ;) I guess you could always "Ditch" in the Big Ditch should that be necessary . O:-)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

218KR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm 

In my short experience...every single place that you go (in Mexico, or the Caribbean) has their own little quirks. Just make phone calls and figure out what each country, or clearing agency needs/wants. Be thorough and ask many questions. There are companies out there who specialize in this as well. We use Universal (there are others also) for some of our international planning. They make it easy for us, but as always, easy equals money. Enjoy the flights.

phred737
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 am 

Don,

I am very inerested in your bike trip as well as any info through Mexico/Central America you can get for flying there. I am planning a Mexico bike trip (BMW K12LT) in the next year but my bucket list includes taking my Thorpe to Sao Paulo, Brazil (when it's finished) to visit my daughter there.

Good luck and have fun!

Fred Denton