Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

ronald hayes
 Post subject: Re: Bill Williams
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:28 pm 

So very sorry to hear of Bill's passing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Deb and family. Bill will be sorely missed with his fun meter and capabilities of fun and craftsmanship.
Ron and Jane Hayes

Profile Personal album  

rjaeger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm 

I can't believe what I'm reading, just logged in to see what the latest talk was on the Thorp site and find this. Was just following the latest adventures of Bill and Deb along with the Highleys showing off that beautiful Nash at Hilton Head. I don't have to tell anyone what a loss this is to our Thorp family as we have all enjoyed Bill's company, tips, opinions, jokes, etc. especially at this years KY Dam. Thanks Bill for being a great ambassador and friend to all of us. Debra, our deepest sympathies to you and the family.Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we pray that all the fond memories you shared will sustain you during this time of sorrow. Love you folks. Bob & Carolyn

jtwigg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:16 pm 

Sorry to hear this sad news... In the short time I've been a member, I met Bill a few times and he was always nice and had great advice. I will miss him and recognize the loss to our community.

Profile Personal album  

Doug Frantz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:05 pm 

A truly sad time in Thorpville. Bill was a giant in the T-18 world, and his knowledge of the type will be missed. My respects go out to his family, his best friend Bob, and to the rest of the Thorp community.

Doug Frantz
N58K
S/N 1067
Mustang, OK KRCE

Norman W. Pauk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:56 pm 

Sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Williams. I did not know him personally but always read all of his notes, comments and thorp information he provided. I am sure all of our thorp members will agree this is a great loss.

Norm Pauk
S-18
S/N 39
in the works

fytrplt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:44 am 

As a reminder, the celebration of Bill's life will be tomorrow, December 8, at 2:00 PM. There are several large events going on at the Sun 'N Fun campus. The ceremony will be held at the Lakeland Aero Club on James Ray Drive. At the museum gate, go straight East past the 727 and the club will be on the right. If you are flying in, ask ground for progressive taxi to the club. You will be directed towards the NOAA hangar and then west on the grass strip. The club is at the west end of the strip. Do not land on the grass strip as it is PPR. See you tomorrow.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 pm 

On first hearing of Bill's passing, I was perplexed and somehow at a loss for thoughts and words to describe my feeling toward the man. Bill was a man who truly cared about the Thorp Group and those who participated, not to mention carrying with him the greatest wealth of knowledge of the T-18 and its derivatives. Now I'm with great heavy heart and lost for whom to call when I need a Thorp answer.

He will certainly be missed and wish to express my and mine condolences to Deb, family and all who were close to Bill.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56 am 

For those of you who knew Bill and his S-18, N30WW, that airplane has been sold to a local oral surgeon here in Lakeland. Some of you met him at Bill's wake. He is enthusiastic and has the resources and talent to take on the Thorp. He is impressed with Thorp group as much as he is with the plane.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Doug S
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm 

Good to see it found a good home. The buyer is fortunate to have one of the best Thorp resources right on the field!

leewwalton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Outstanding!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 pm 

That is very good news. I’m glad our community has expanded by one. I’m also glad we can keep track of that bird. Does he have TW time? Please make sure he is trained properly. Any help needed, let me know.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 pm 

He is a helicopter pilot and currently owns a Champ on loan to the high school flying club. He flys the Sun 'n Fun Stearman and has had a Husky in the past. I have had him up with me a couple of times.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 pm 

Two thumbs up there!!

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Steve Peirce
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm 

I’m a bit embarrassed with this posting, but I just was informed about Bill’s passing. I’m currently building but have had my project in storage for the past 8 months, due building a new home. I’m currently in the process of moving the project to my new home and a question came up about Lycoming engines. I dialed Bill’s cell number because he is my go to guy on aircraft building subjects, and his cell number was disconnected. I then contacted Don Doubleday posed the question to him and in the conversation mentioned if Bill had a new cell number. The other shoe dropped when Don stated that Bill had passed away this pasted November. My wife and I were at a doctors appointment and I was just about ready to drive home when I received this news. I had to wait a few minutes to collect myself before I started the truck engine. The loss of Bill to our group is monumental. Bill was a great friend and mentor and there was not one time when I either called or stopped by for assistance that he stopped what he was doing to help me complete the task or answer the question that I had. He will be greatly missed. I’m very sorry Deb.