Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: SOLD!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 pm 

Number 9 , number 9 , number 9 . ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:15 pm 

I noticed sometimes when I post I get an error. The first time it happened I hit the "back" button to try again just to find out the post actually went through and I had created duplicate posts. The duplcates can be deleted by their creator as long as no one else makes a reply first.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ok guys I've contacted EAA regarding the misinformation on eaa.org.

As Cubes mentioned we did speak with the new owner of the T-18 rights. As with any business sale these things do not happen overnight. Please be patient and keep in mind that this site, Cubes, other T-18 owners and yours truly are always here for any support we are able to provide.

Since day one the T-18 has been a largely supported by the mutual aid society (this forum, and in the past, newsletters). In the end we are the best source.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:51 pm 

Hello Thorpies,

Let me apologize to those of you who experienced the multiple post I made in the forum. That was not my intention, but here lately, last couple of days, I've been getting multiple errors while attempting to post an item or even load an image. When submitting the post, I kept receiving an error message. Closing the window entirely and opening another one, I did not see my post. Needless to say, it happened several times and still no post.

Thank you Lee for removing my multiple post which I suspected you would and do sincerely thank you; however, I expected to at least see one. Can you please post one back so that members can view and digest?

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry Don it was not my intent to delete all of them .. unfortunately the postings are gone .. please feel free to re-post your thoughts.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 pm 

For what it may we worth Jeff,

I AM! disappointed in the past T-18 vendors and until James bought out Classic, their response was outright embarrassing. Jim is doing a far better job putting out parts, than Mike Archer or Richard Eklund ever dreamed. Jim has responded to my requests within hours and provided the requested parts within the week.

I worked for an aircraft manufacturer closely associated with DOD, Air Force, NASA, etc, also Signal Chief with US Army for many years, had Top Secret clearance with special projects, but never did I think the T-18 group would top that. While at Oshkosh yesterday, I noticed a sign on the RV tent which stated more than 9700 flying. I firmly believe that had the previous T-18 rights owners done just a half ass job, there would probably be some 4000+ Thorps flying out there somewhere and see more than the usual half dozen or more at any flying event and gathering we Thorpies have. I typically see no less than 100 or so RVs at Sun 'n Fun and Oshkosh. Believe the most we've ever had together was in Fredericksburg a few years ago with 25 and a couple of wanabe. Another time was in Kentucky Dam with same amount.

For the rest of the Thorpies, What I'm leading to is that we need to rethink the way we think of ourselves as a group and if the Thorp is to increase popularity or even survive, we need to come up with ways to promote our little airplane. People ask me about the Thorp and why there aren't very many out there and want to know if there is something wrong with it. I show them mine and the one I'm restoring and explain that RVs are assemblers' airplanes, while Thorps are more of a builders' airplane, requiring a great deal more effort to build. With a more centrally located places to have our Thorp gathering so that West Coast, Central U.S. and East Coast, Thorpies can meet and have a larger group and better promote our little airplane. Having the gatherings close to center U.S. makes it much easier and less costly. We also need to meet and have Thorp talks so those contemplating building or building can have the reassurance that we are there for them.

Crunch your brain cells Thorpies and see how we can come up with a better way to promote our T-18.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 pm 

Kit vs plans build is part of the problem . If someone is faced with building a plane where most of the work is done (holes drilled , skins cut , ribs formed , etc.) vs given a set of paper plans and told to "make your own parts" I think the majority of people are going to pick the kit . Thorp Central has the kit portion under control with the S-18 , but the T-18 has lagged behind in this area . I am hopeful the new owner will recognize this and provide some relief and increase the numbers in the herd . ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:53 pm 

I'm with you Rich. I have my hopes up.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

rhartmaier
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 pm 

"Ok guys I've contacted EAA regarding the misinformation on eaa.org."

Just checked eaa.org. Still lists Richard Eklund and Mike Archer as the two venders offering kits/plans.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:40 am 

Not much point in keeping after it. After all, T18.net is still showing Eklund Engineering as the contact for all things T-18. It’s a good thing Cubes can help us out with some things.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:41 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Guys I really do not see what the obsession is here ...

First .. (and thanks for the quote!) I have no control over the velocity at which EAA updates their website .. in my opinion the portion of eaa.org that lists plans/kits may actually not even be maintained anymore. To get to that portion of the site takes a bit of effort and quite frankly Google has made finding such information much easier .. in a nutshell .... stop worrying about it. Google "Thorp T-18" and you'll get to the right place ... heck half of the airplanes on that list are showing outdated info.

Second. .. (I still and dumbfounded by the obsession here). The new owner of Eklund's company has not officially come forward. Perhaps he works, has a wife, family, a home or just more important things to do with his life than open the floodgates that are sure to arrive when his phone number/email becomes public. I'm sure Cubes can attest 99% of owning a company such as that is holding the hands of window shoppers.

Finally .. anything you need or need to know can be found here ... if you own or are building a T-18 I suggest you focus on that and less on information on an organization's website that we have no control over .. just a thought but I think I may have read that on a fortune cookie at some point.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 pm 

Hey, that was my fortune cookie....yesterday. That and

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:52 pm 

Just FYI, I have been in contact with the new owner recently. He has T18 plans available. I can sell them for him until he is set up.
He spent Veterans Day weekend picking up the last of the stuff from Richard.
I can also tell you that Lee is correct. There are a lot of tire kickers out there.
Also, I have had the benefit of asking Mike how to do whatever. Where to source some materials. Who is a vendor to help etc. The new T18 owner has zero support from Richard. I do not want to speculate what happened to him, but he is no help to us at the moment. I'm trying to help the new owner get up and running. But we have to work at his pace.
Until that time, sing out with your needs and we can help. Ive had several requests for T18 wingtips recently. S18 ones do not work unless you can do some fiberglass work. I'm looking into having some made.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

rhartmaier
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 pm 

OK, I guess it is my background as a military pilot, Part 121 pilot, and a B.S. in engineering, that I expect that if something is published, it should be accurate. I guess I should know better than to believe that just because something is on the internet, it is correct. Even the EAA, which I have been a member of since 1970, and feel that they have always in the past done good work, can drop the ball on some things. As far as the new owner of the T-18 rights, I congratulate him on accepting the responsibility of helping all those who are building/maintaining a T-18, or are thinking about a project. I have a feeling that any profit is made at a very low hourly rate! I wish him well and hope that he is successful.

And that is really all I have to say about that!

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 am 

I never had a real issue with the EAA or any other organization not being 100%. When I became interested in Thorps google brought me here. As I have indicated throughput this thread, I do have a problem with T18.net (thorp18.com) providing bad info because I figure someone in this group has direct control over the content of this website. Using the information still on thorp18.com, it took me 2 weeks to get a hold of Eklund last spring just to find out he had sold out. It took another week or two to learn out the new owner wasn’t in a position to help yet. I started this thread with the hope I might prevent someone else from wasting their time chasing down info I feel should have been front page news on the “community website”. According to one person in the group I am the only person who feels that way.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next