Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
 Post subject: Re: GAS CAP SOLUTION
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:29 pm 

You got it, Marty.
By the way, he changed his mind. I will sell for $80. He shipped some today.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 pm 

The gas cap rings have arrived. For anyone who wants one, they are $80 each. If you haven’t contacted me, please do so with address. You will need to order the cap itself from Spruce. The PN is 05-22312. Make sure you are ordering just the cap and not the ring. The price should be below $30.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:56 pm 

Cubes have you tried installing the ring yet? If so how did it go? Any chance when you get a spare moment you could post a profile/side view picture of this ring and maybe some additional dimensions? I am just trying to see/understand how this fits in that sort of 1/4" by 1/4" space inside the existing 3.05" od ring. Any idea what diameter screws/bolts you would use to fasten through that ~1/4" lip?

Thanks for working through this Cubes.

Dave

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm 

Here you go.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:56 pm 

I asked Lee to post the picture. Computers and I despise each other.
The ring drops down into your existing filler neck. It will be flush with the top of your current opening. It has 4/40 holes drilled in it. Here’s my plan..
Wrap masking tape around it to make sure it fits very tight. Hold it in place and just dimple the existing opening through each screw hole. Remove everything and drill out each dimple. I’ll use a rag with grease on it to catch shavings. Then I’ll tap it while using the same rag. Remove masking tape, apply Proseal, and screw in place.
One man’s solution.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

shackwd
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:50 pm 

Cubes - Would the Lockable SPRL Version work?

Aircraft Spruce has a link from:
Newton Sprl Non-Locking Fuel Cap Only, Part# 05-22312, $28.90/Each
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... newton.php
Link says: Replacement cap for "Lightweight Non- Locking Sprl Fuel Cap With Universal Flange"

The link goes to:
LIGHTWEIGHT NON- LOCKING SPRL FUEL CAP WITH UNIVERSAL FLANGE, Part# 05-28662, Size: 65 mm O.D, $51.75/Each
Q&A: The diameter of this cap is 65 mm or approx. 2.56 inches.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... prlfc1.php

The locking version has the same 65mm O.D.:
LIGHTWEIGHT LOCKING SPRL FUEL CAP WITH UNIVERSAL FLANGE, Part# 05-28663, Size: 65 mm O.D., $70.75/Each
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... prlfc2.php

Ref:
Newton Consulting SPRL 65
The range includes the “S” Standard cap and the ” L” lockable version.
http://www.newtonsprl.co.uk/sprl-65/

Looks like the 3.45 inch Universal Flange would be useless, but maybe the cap would work.

Thanks,

Shack
N921JK T-18C

Profile Personal album  

shackwd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:22 am 

My apologies above, I didn't introduce myself. I go by "Shack". For my Thorp history, I've been lurking on-line for years. Actually, I have about 200 hours in a Thorp, most of it in the mid to late 80s. Nov 84, I traded in my C-150 for my first Thorp. I had the honor of being checked out by Bill Warwick, said I would be safe. I didn't know who he was at the time, just someone helping me fly my Thorp, N711RF, built by Roy Funk. Flew it from Corona, CA to Oshkosh and back in 86, and later to and from my home state of SC. Didn't contact other T-18 people at the time, no internet. My regret looking back to the 80's is letting work, being naive, etc get in the way of saying hello to all the great Thorp people at the time, maybe even John Thorp himself. I did fly to Eagle Roost Airpark onetime to let Bill Warrick do a Annual Inspection, found out that's a Conditional Inspection now. Still didn't know the history of Thorps at the time. The Thorp sat for most of the 90s due to work, responsibilities, and money. Sold the Thorp to my brother in Dec 97 for financial reasons. After about 1 year, I didn't have contact with the Thorp anymore. I'm now flying John Kenton's T-18C, or at least trying to.

My reasoning for the SPRL lockable fuel cap version, is I'd be throwing away $20 on the Universal Flange , ie ring, or basically paying $70 for a lockable fuel cap and buying the ring from Cubes.

I know there is pro and con on locks, but hopefully it keeps people honest. When the plane is outside, I have found the more you hide stuff or slow someone down, the less likely they will steal gas etc. I even put a cover under the gascolator.

Again, Thanks to Cubes, and all the great people on this site that give me more knowledge to enjoy the best airplane ever built. You might notice I'm slightly bias, I do that when I fly a plane that does what you tell it to do, no slop. Of course the T-18 goes beyond that, the higher wing loading with the incredible stick control, along with the stability from the bent wings is unmatched by any airplane I found or even read about. The crosswinds I've landed with, would make a RV go somewhere else. I remember flying a RV-7 at Vans, felt like I was being bounced around everywhere. My thanks to John Kenton for keeping the original airfoil on my T-18C, putting the maneuvering speed where it belongs, at cruise. The 150 hp O-320-A2B Narrow Deck it has seems perfectly matched for it. John Thorp's pure genius just keeps showing time and time again.

Shack
N921JK T-18C

Profile Personal album  

shackwd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:47 pm 

Cubes - Put me down for one of those rings. Also your thoughts on the lockable fuel cap fitting it. My email is for when to send you the money, $80?, via PayPal if ok.

I don't like to assume anything. So even though it said the Newton Sprl Non-Locking Fuel Cap Only, Part# 05-22312 was the replacement cap for LIGHTWEIGHT NON- LOCKING SPRL FUEL CAP WITH UNIVERSAL FLANGE, Part# 05-28662, I went ahead and confirmed with Michelle at Aircraft Spruce that all 3 fuel caps with Part#s 05-22312, 05-28662, and 05-28663 fit the same ring/flange and all 3 fuel caps have the same 65 mm O.D.. She was unaware if Newton sold the locking cap by itself, and thought it would be hard to contact them. She did mention they had 10 lockable fuel caps with ring in stock at the Corona store. I ordered one.

Thanks,

Shack
N921JK T-18C
shackwd@gmail.com

Profile Personal album  

MartyG
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:41 pm 

I've never used Proseal before. Looking at ACS, there are a variety of types and sizes. I have to do two of these caps, can anyone recommend the type and size I should order?? Part number would be even better!

Thanks guys

martygrosse@yahoo.com

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:45 pm 

Cubes, do you plan to stock these, or is this a one time type offering?

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm 

I’ll probably start stocking them. I know these gas caps have been a PITA for a long time.
I started my install today. I’ve got all holes drilled and a few tapped. The rag with grease on it idea worked really well. I’ll know in a few days if I was accurate enough with my spotting attempt.
Advise, don’t be shy putting a dimple in the flange with a spotting drill. I was very tentative. I think too tentative. Hopefully it doesn’t bite me later.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

shackwd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:21 pm 

Picked up my LIGHTWEIGHT LOCKING SPRL FUEL CAP WITH UNIVERSAL FLANGE, Part# 05-28663 at Aircraft Spruce Corona today. Took pics of it and the Newton Sprl Non-Locking Fuel Cap Only, Part# 05-22312 recommended by Cubes. They both fit the ring on the locking version. Other than the lock, they appear to be the same. Pics below.

I'm impressed. Did note the 3.45 inch O.D. ring from the locking cap has about 7/16" lip on top, but only about 1/4" lip on bottom. That would take some fancy machine work so the fuel cap would clear for the new ring's slightly less than 3.05 inch O.D..

Shack
N921JK T-18C

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:34 pm 

Cubes thanks for the installation info and tips, and Lee thanks for the side view picture. Cubes please keep us informed as your installation progresses. Shack thanks for the pics and info on the caps.

Dave

shackwd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 pm 

Dave,

Happy to help a little bit. All the Thanks goes to Cubes for making it happen and possibly saving our lives. Although using a screwdriver is definitely a PITA, the remote possibility of the fuel cap exploding in flight should be my biggest concern.

Shack
N921JK T-18C

Profile Personal album