Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
 Post subject: Shipping estimates
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:32 pm 

Folks,
I have wasted a TON of time pulling parts from inventory, boxing them up, driving to FedEx to get a shipping estimate. In most cases, the customer then declines to purchase the parts.
We will no longer provide shipping estimates for any order.
I can tell you that I prefer to ship via FedEx because I get a 70% discount with them that I pass along to you. If you are near a Southwest Airlines city, I can ship through them.
Please do not ask for a shipping estimate. We will not accommodate that request any longer.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

mcsophie
 Post subject: Re: Shipping estimates
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:14 pm 

I don't really have a dog in this hunt (no longer own a T18), but I think I can help.

First, evaluate what a '70% discount' really means in terms of actual shipping dollars.
2nd, evaluate what your time is worth, having to drive to a FedEx depot to discover a shipping cost instead of just weighing and measuring a package and looking up the rate.
3rd, use electronic funds transfer (credit card, paypal, etc) to pay for and generate shipping label, and just hand it to your letter carrier.

FWIW, the absolute worst shipping company for delivery to me is....FedEx. I *beg* vendors to pick *anyone* other than FedEx. I've had them refuse to deliver on time *for Christmas*, a package which was shipped at their Overnight Rate and was in their destination facility the day before Christmas. On multiple occasions their drivers have claimed that they can't find my address (I live on a 4 lane Federal Highway). They take forever to get stuff across the country, charge more than USPS Priority Mail, and I've repeatedly had them tag a tracking file as 'business closed' at 3:00-4:00PM, after the tracking showed the item out for delivery, and I've been home all day with the gate open (BTW, *NOT a business*).

Charlie