Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I announced a few "changes" coming down the pike (or pipe ... never could figure out which one to use) at Kentucky Dam that all of you should obviously hear as well.

First - Newsletter

I've spent the last month or so trying to pull together another newsletter for 2013. The problem here is that the forum seems to always be several hundred steps ahead of any news I could put out in published form. The fact of the matter is that the forum is simply more efficient than the traditional newsletter, and without the help of a select few (Rich Brazell, David Read, Cubes, to name the most frequent contributors) I struggle to find content that has not already been covered for weeks on the forum site. That being said there will be a final newsletter for 2013, fitting on this 50th anniversary year, after that the concept of a traditional newsletter will be a thing of the past. This is not so say we will give up on a newsletter but in the future it may be a recap of content found on the forum (i.e. somewhat "processed" rather than "published").

Second - MAS Dues

There is a small percentage of forum members that are MAS Members and faithfully pay the $25 membership fee each year. It's always been hard for me to justify a membership fee for an "online" newsletter. There are a dozen or so who still insist on a mailed copy but still not enough to justify a fee. With that in mind I am taking the MAS dues link off the "main site" and removing the separate login for "Members Only" access. In short the online presence will now be free of charge. There will be a "Donate" link for those who would like to contribute to the costs of the website but in the end that ends up being the burden of the "web guy" (me) and I'm happy to take that on. In short, no more dues.

Third - Website

I'm aware that there are several issues with the website right now. Most notably the lack of daily summary emails. I will get that fixed. If anyone has any other issues they are aware of please let me know. This is one of the main reasons for dropping the official newsletter, I would prefer to take my focus off the newsletter and more on making the website top notch, adding new features, fixing existing issues etc.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 pm 

Lee: All sounds good except for you taking on the web site costs . Last time we talked the web site was the biggest part of the dues ? ??? Still mailing out a " hard copy ?" Have that dozen or so hook up with a buddy that has a computer and have them print it and mail it to them . Donate ? Only the Faithful Hard Core group will donate to the cause . I might be wrong , but those of us that have paid our dues overs the years support the many that do not . Sounds like a Political Theme chiming ! ???

You have done an amazing job with this web site and I for one do not want you to take on an additional burden with regard to paying for it .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 am 

Guys,

Let's keep the dues and in addition to using the funds for the web site costs we could have a fund to cover the costs of shirts, hats, flyin event expenses, etc.

I agree with Rich , in that Lee shuld not have to bear the web site costs.

Jim

dickwolff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:43 am 

Here, here! We don't have enough numbers to pay for Lee's retirement, like Doug Reeves (the "other" webmaster) but we ought to spread the cost of the website amongst us.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I appreciate it guys! My hopes are that if I leave a "donate" link on the Forum site .. the occasional $5-$10 donation will keep things going. The sad fact of the matter is that most of the 700 users are riding on the contributions of a small percentage of members. The attitude is that if you don't actually receive something in the mail the $25 is not going to happen. Of course I would point out that VAF asks for $25 a year just to use the website ... on the honor system. In my opinion that's a bit out of line considering the VAF site makes $$$ off of advertising and has around 1400 (!!!) donations a year.

http://www.vansairforce.net/yearlypledgedrive_value.htm

So all I ask is that if you like the site ... consider occasionally donating a small bit to keep things operating. If you guys don't object I'm considering adding an "all stars" block that shows who's thrown a bill in the hat recently.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:29 pm 

Lee: With the demise/retirement of the NL I have been thinking how we can add a section to the Forum where we can still submit articles for the group . I know we have separate topics on the Forum that folks can submit a brief suggestion or make a comment (electrical, prop, airframe , etc.) , but if we had ONE heading/thread/post (not sure what to call it) that I/we can submit an article vs. a comment or suggestion might be helpful to replace the TT NL ? ::) I am not an expert on Health Care or Health Care Web Site design , but I do know a thing or two about MA4-5 Carbs ! :) Just kicking the can down the road ...slowly ! ??? POW ! peep

RB C:-)

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Good idea RB .. In short time (hopefully) I'll be migrating the "main site" to another Doc management system .. I think what we'll do it create a space out there for this type of "posting" .. sound good?

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:46 am 

I agree no one person should have to foot the bill. Is there any way to get a "reminder" once a year that it is donation time? I know that's terribly lazy of me, but I think it would help (me for sure).

Jim Mantyla wrote:
Guys,

Let's keep the dues and in addition to using the funds for the web site costs we could have a fund to cover the costs of shirts, hats, flyin event expenses, etc.

I agree with Rich , in that Lee shuld not have to bear the web site costs.

Jim

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:29 pm 

I pay mine at Christmas time . Easy to remember . 8)

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

jlevi
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:10 pm 

I agree with what people have said here, and you might put another link for donations to those who spend a whole lot of time and effort for the flyins we go to.

Fallbrook, Ca

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The "Main Site" no longer requires a login folks .... Newsletters are free to all.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Gary Green
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:32 pm 

Lee; I like the idea of the Thorp forum being open to all. Yet, I know there is a cost to you for maintaining the site and it is unacceptable for you to shoulder that cost alone. We need to figure out a mechanism where Thorp owners/builders/enthusiasts contribute to cover 100% of those costs.

Gary Green

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

I like the idea of having a "donation button" giving the ability make donations, especially if it allows the use of PayPal. I'm hopeful that it would work very well for you, Lee. The Matronics List has a yearly fundraising appeal that seems to work well for Matt D., and an end of year reminder from you directed to the users of this site would jog everyone's memories & probably work OK. Thanks for everything!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

N89BJ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 am 
jrevens wrote:
I like the idea of having a "donation button" giving the ability make donations, especially if it allows the use of PayPal. I'm hopeful that it would work very well for you, Lee. The Matronics List has a yearly fundraising appeal that seems to work well for Matt D., and an end of year reminder from you directed to the users of this site would jog everyone's memories & probably work OK. Thanks for everything!

+1

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Much appreciated guys!

I'll get to work on a donate button, although to make things honest I'll also add the break down of the annual costs (don't want you guys to over-contribute!)

The main site is very close to getting replaced with a faster more aesthetic version. For the most parts it is now done but waiting on a bug fix related to searching the newsletters.

KEFD

Profile Personal album