Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Gentleman,
I

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:03 pm 

Hi Lee, I missed it all, I really have to check here more often. :)

While I don't know the subject matter or the nature or tone of that thread I would like this to be a place where all Thorp T-18 related questions can be asked and answered in a civilized manner. I am on several forums and have been disgusted by some of the ill tempered individuals and poor manners typed for the world to see on some of them (ATV sites in this case).

I have never seen that to date here and appreciate the "tone" here.

While I know really haven't answered the question I would add that its your site and yours to police, once nonsense is tolerated its likely to reoccur.

Profile Personal album  

Derek Fritschle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 pm 

I for one was glad to see it come down. For the most part this is an amazing group of great people and we just simply do not need that kind of negativity.

Profile Personal album  

shinton
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 pm 

I believe that Richard's sincere attempt was to look out for fellow Thorp Group members. He had a bad experience and didn't want another member to suffer the same fate. The problem with a written forum is that it is written. I spent a number of years teaching crew resource management, a major portion of which concerned effective communication. Only 7% of a transmitted message is verbal, the balance is tone and body language, both absent from our posts. The point is, we must be very careful when choosing our words otherwise the potential for misunderstanding and possible offence is too great.

Lee, I think you do a great job managing the forum. It's a job I don't want and I am extremely grateful that you do it, and much more. Because I'm not willing to do what you do, I think you can carry on in any fashion you choose. I'm only responding because you asked: the truth may lie in the middle of both Richard's comments and Mr Ferdon's, but Mr Ferdon's response was extremely harsh. Based on that response and Richard's stated experience, and without assigning blame, there was a problem. A reasonable action may have been to recommend that Mr Ferdon list his aircraft on Barnstormers or any other site of his choosing and delete the entire thread. The fight can be fought on another playground, not ours. Or not... I wrote that I taught effective communications, not that I was good at it. :P

Will V
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm 

Lee,
I have been away from the forum for a while and had finally checked in. I saw the first two replies and it did create that wierd feeling one gets when something goes 'sideways'... There are always two sides and each side must be respected. The internet is public and permanent (well not this time) and requires temperance. I agree with the removal. As pretty much said in a post above, the generous and kind tone of 'your' site is something we all count on and expect. Perhaps I am wrong but a sale is always contentious. The seller has a percieved value, the buyer has its percieved worth to him, and then there is market value and they are all different. Throw in some hopes , dreams and expectations and someone usually walks away unhappy. But move on. A offer to PM with anyone that was interested in the project with the comment 'I saw this project and while ago and am happy to discuss it' would have been sufficient and only someone who contacted the poster would hear a side of a story that was of no benefit to most of us. Maybe it was too hard to say in latin and not as catchy but it should always be "buyer and seller beware".

Will

Lou
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm 

Lee, you do the work it's your call, I'm good with that. Well unless it's my post ;)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:29 pm 

I'm sitting over here in the corner fat dumb and happy and missed it all!! No bother, onto the next subject"..............Dan

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:46 pm 

Lee,

I believe personal attacks of any type do not belong in our or any forum for that matter and for that, should it come to be, is where the PM links comes in to allow members to contact one another outside of the public

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 pm 

In the future if someone has something negative to say about a part or service OR aircraft that is for sale on the Forum just indicate on the post that you have further information about the matter and "contact me off line or pm me !" We went thru this some time back with Vendor "bashing !"

Lee: You are the Captain of the Forum ship ( and a mighty fine Captain you are !) and someone has to make a Command decision to keep the boat afloat ! You made the right decision. :) I was looking thru the FAQ and could not find a "code of conduct ?" I thought we had one ? It would give you authority to remove said Foo Pa's , naughty words and general "I can't believe I said that !"

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:04 am 
Rich, FYI it is the third paragraph of the registration section when you become a member of this forum.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 am 

I knew I saw it somewhere.

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 pm 

Right on, Lee

Profile Personal album