Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Fla-T18
 Post subject: Paint or Wrap
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:53 pm 

Does anyone have any wrap work done? I was thinking about wrapping my plane,but I also am considering a partial wrap, I might just paint a solid color and come in with wrapping on the scheme, and the n #
If someone had their plane wrapped what kind of pricing are we looking at?

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Paint or Wrap
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:54 pm 

Go to the vendors page. I think I posted the outfit I used for the graphics . Harris Decal.com. Thousands of combinations and colors. I did my S-18 sides, tail, wings, and stab plus N numbers for less than $500.00. Might have even been less than that ? ??? I would have to dig up the receipts. :P

RB

Profile Personal album  

Fla-T18
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm 

Do you have any pictures of this work on here? are you happy with the outcome of it?

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm 

Here are a few pics. VERY happy with the out come ! The fus. graphic was a one piece application. I was a little concerned that being 130 iches log it would be difficult to apply to the A/C. It was not. All the graphics went on without a hitch. The N numbers I did have to cut and apply as separate numbers/letters as I did not like the spacing. Even that was not a big deal. I applied the vinyl using the "wet method" technique. You can see the process on You Tube. The vinyl is outdoor grade vinyl with a 7+ year life. As I keep the A/C indoors it should last as long as me ! ???

The nice thing about ordering from this company is that you can get the same colors for all the graphics. You can change the size/font and color right on their web site. Even get an online "proof" before they ship.

RB

Attachment:
DSCF0089.JPG
DSCF0089.JPG [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 18384 times ]
Attachment:
DSCF0087.JPG
DSCF0087.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 18384 times ]
Attachment:
DSCF0061.JPG
DSCF0061.JPG [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 18384 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Fla-T18
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 pm 

Great job! I was thinking about having someone apply it for me,didn't know you can do it yourself. How big is the rudder tab? At what degree is it turned? I was considering powered tabbing but it will be getting a lot of possible abuse from using the rudder so much, might short out wires.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 pm 

Yep...applying the graphics much much easier than I thought. Use a grease pencil (china maker) to lay out a line to keep the decal/graphic straight. Or use a rivet line. Wet the A/C, peel back a small portion of the graphic and wet that portion and then start applying. Wetting both surfaces lets you reposition the graphic. If you do not use the "wet method" and try to apply the vinyl dry you only get one chance to get it right. Once you have it in place with the wet method (you can lift it off and reposition it if necessary), you take a credit card or other smooth tool and squeeze out the water. There will be a few air bubble, but you can smooth them out to the edges or poke the bubble with a pin to let the air out.

The rudder tab is about 2" x 6". Probably could have been a little smaller. Very effective for long straight and level flights prior to engaging the AP. I used a RAC servo ( I got the idea from a prior NL post) it is mounted on the bottom of the rubber rib and enclosed in a housing. If I had to do it again I would probably look at building the tab into the rudder (saw that from the RV site). The wires to the servo are wrapped in spiral wrap and the amount of rudder travel is small and the wires are protected from chaffing. I installed a DPDT mini rocker switch on the tunnel just to the left of the flap handle to run the servo. I also installed a green position lite to tell me when the tab is centered. So far it is working as advertised. I don't use it for pattern work or when I just fly in the local area when I change altitude and speeds frequently.

RB
Attachment:
S18%20stick%20boot%20assy%20004.jpg
S18%20stick%20boot%20assy%20004.jpg [ 392.94 KiB | Viewed 18373 times ]

RB

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 am 

I thought about wraps as well, but with vehicles, they say they begin to degrade at two years and don't last much beyond 3 or 4 - As I had and just sanded 40 years of Imron (acrylic urethane) that still looked pretty good after spending a lot of time outdoors, I opted for acrylic urethane again. As far as graphics like Rich's go, that's the way to to it.

I would also worry about a wrap getting moisture in between it and the AL at pinholes and creating potential corrosion areas I might not notice.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm with Frase ... Airplanes are painted ... Other stuff gets "wrapped"!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:20 pm 

The "accents" that I applied I probably should have said they were "decals" rather than graphics or wraps. Red Bull racers have wraps/graphics.

RB

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

True true but red bull air racers are steel tube with composite shells / composite wings and only have to hold up for one season.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 pm 

That's true. They have enough $$$ to change them out several times a year if they want.

RB

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:10 pm 

Just shoot your Decals,wraps,graphics with clear urethane and they will last as long as the paint. Alot of times this is done on the clear coat of the paint job, the decals are put on, cleaned with denatured alcohol to rid any adhesives, and then cleared in with the final coat.........makes em permanent,slick and Glossy for years. Dan

Hagle347
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:51 pm 

A friend of mine just sent a photo of Tom Coughlin's new paint scheme.

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:37 pm 

Dean Cuke just incorporated a partial wrap into his paint Scheme, just as anything else technology has crept into the wrap scene just like everything else. The wrap he used has UV inhibitors, it is easily removable unlike my decals that become a part of the paint in 12hrs and have to be scraped. This wrap that Dean used actually breaths, you cannot trap air bubbles under it, it lays flat and can conform to compound shapes. Let's face it fellas, a 250.00 wrap that does not fade, can be removed and replaced if you get tired of it and looks like a 6500.00 paint scheme will be the future. After all, hand cranks on model A Fords were considered novel until the battery and generator came along, now we have the GPS out dating the VOR, The purest will be around for a while and god bless em, I'm one of em, But the wheel of technology will prevail in the real world how be it bad or good. We now have paint jobs that are, or can be changed daily by the push of a button. I myself prefer Urathane, but I was born in 57, So I'm as outdated as enamel......Kinda proud of it...OOORAH !!! Dan

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Dang!! That looks awesome!!

KEFD

Profile Personal album