Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Paint
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm 

Try CRC Freeze Off Super penetrant. [;)] 11 oz spray can. As the name implies, it will super cool the affected area (shock action is the claim) and then the penetrant seeps in. I have used it with success on 25 year old parts that would have been trashed otherwise trying to get them off. I believe I got it at HD, although any good auto parts store should have it. [8D]

RB

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:34 pm 

Making progress......?

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

KIWI

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm 

Wow - a bondobird - fair play to you, my partner in freedom - is that your living room curtains in the background? Think of how good it's going to look when you are done.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Victor Thompson
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:15 pm 

Chuck: taking off the 2 coats of paint, primer and the bondo filler you will probably lighten your aircraft by 125-150 pounds.

You will enjoy the speed increase.

What are your painting plans?

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm 

Yea, there was much more than that if you can believe it. Much of the removed bondo was covering the rivits (pop rivits)the rest, who knows. I havent found any defects being hidden (well maybe one) so, why so much is beyond me. Is this characteristic?

How goes your project or needn't I bring it up?

As far as the background, any real Scotsman can tell, it's our bathroom adorned with a plane wing for a mirror to obscure any facial blemishes, framed by one large shower curtain!!

Chuck

KIWI

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:26 pm 

Victor,

I've always been a daring soul, therefore I've decided to "giva a go meself"! If Rich and Lee can do it....... wish me luck.

Cheers

Chuck

KIWI

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Victor Thompson
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm 

Chuck : I had made the assumption that you would be painting the aircraft yourself,... there is a old joke here,...

Is this characteristic, I have seen this before. Too cover or minimize flaws but to use it just because you have some handy no.

I have seen it used to fill in Pop rivets usually with little success.

I was asking, what painting products you would be using on your lighter ship?

I am sure you will do a fine job.

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 pm 

Victor,

I guess I was stating the obvious, sorry about that. Yea, I think I'm going with TCGLOBAL's system. My interior is maroon, so, I'm going white with maroon tail and side accents, probably with a hint of orange peel!.

Chuck

KIWI

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:12 am 

Check out this relic I discovered mounted

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Herewhile disconnecting various items inside the fuselage. It looks like something from WWII, no wonder I'm always tail heavy.

Chuck

KIWI

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone have an idea of what that is? I'm stumped. Autopilot gyro?

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 am 
It is used for weight and balance, Long ago I had an offshore racer that had one. It looks like the WWII remote compass slave unit out of a B24.

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 pm 

Remote compass or some type of ADF unit would have been my guess ? [;)] It probable has some type of ID plate on it ? Let us know what it really is ! Support structure/bars...are they aluminum or ?

Stumped in Jamul
RB

Last edited by Rich Brazell on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm 

I've got one in my plane too. It's a "magnesyn" compass unit. Check to see if there is a high frequency converter to power it. Mine seems to be quite accurate and I haven't found any info on how to swing it other than with a " Parker pen".

Jim Mantyla :-)

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:18 pm 

Chuck: Now that I've finished the last of the painting (wheel pants, cuffs and fairings) with the TCPGlobal Single stage AUE, I'll pass on a few things I learned along the way. This was by far the biggest paint job I've attempted and what they say about 90% prep and 10% paint job is correct. Don't let the fiberglass fool ya. Just when you think you've got it licked, those pesky pin holes will keep popping up ! If you use filler and think you have it really smooth...think again. Both almost always will require a re-do. This is where the primer comes in handy as it will show any of the imperfections in the fiberglass and filler before the paint is shot. I spent many, many hours on the fiberglass and final finishing of the filler I used to get it where it looks pretty good.

Now about the paint. I used the single stage AUE from TCPGlobal. Dan also used the TCP paint. I have no complaints about the paint. Buy it in the "kit" and you will save about $25.00 over individual can cost. It was a learning curve, both from using the paint and finding the right guns to use. Remember I am a beginner ( although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night ). I initially mixed the paint according to the can 4-1-1. 4 parts paint, 1 part reducer and 1 part hardner. I found the paint was going on too thin, so I cut the reducer in 1/2, so the mix was 4-1-1/2. The paint gun was another story. I thought expensive meant good. For the experts that may be the case, but the gun I started out with was a big disappoinment. It was a Devilbiss HVLP gun and by the time I added a "cleaning kit and a few other "necessary items" I was close to two big bills for the gun. It may have been the HVLP aspect of the gun or just my inexperience, but it just didn't perform to my expectations. I decided to go with the HF Siphon Tube Gun #43760 after several other builder sites suggested it. I used it for the primer and the large areas of the A/C and it worked much better than the $200 gun. The HF unit I got for $10.00 with a coupon, so I got 2 ! The smaller areas like the rudder, ailerons, etc. I used the HF "Touch Up Gun" #086, which I also got on sale for about $10.00. From the pics you can see it did a very good job.

When you begin to paint, I suggest you start on the bottom sections as you can "practice" on them and your mistakes won't show as much. The nice thing about this AUE single stage TCP paint is that you can "wet sand" the paint when dry to remove any runs or "orange peel" and finish off with a buffing with Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound 105 to remove the wet sanding marks. This process really works if you are not a pro painter. In fact I picked up this wet sanding technique from one of the hot rod web sites. Do not buy a bunch of pre-marked mixing cups from the paint shop. Instead go to a resturant supply house a pick up a bulk pack of 1 1/2 quart plastic cups. Don't buy the gun solvent from the body supply either. I got a gallon of acetone from a contractor paint store for a lot less.

I give my paint job a C+. If the sun angle is just right you can pick out a few areas where the paint is a little thin, but like I said this paint is easy to re-do an area and the price for the paint is certainly within the budget. The wheel pants I just did yesterday (between Winter fronts here in SAN ) and they came out better than I expected. As soon as the temp warms up I'll apply the vinyl graphics to the pants. There is a larger scale decal (same stars and bars) to go on the side of the A/C.

NX115RX
RB

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:27 am 

Rich,

Thanks for all the tips, being a beginner myself I'll take all I can get. I think I'm about two months out with all the prep still to be accomplished and have as yet purchased all the paint and equipment. As far as the gun, I was looking at an inexpensive HVLP set up from the TCPGLOBAL site due to the volume of air my spray booth can move (I've never used it). I understand the HF sprayer produce a significant amount of particulates, I may have to revisit that thought however. I fortunately have a heated garage and purchased this used downdraft spray booth and "hopefully" I'll be able to paint midwinter without fumigating myself (I'll be using a Hobie air system) and the house inhabitants, we'll see.

Chuck

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

KIWI

Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next