Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 pm 

Hi to all, My father - Jack Hagle started serial number 347 in 1965. He finished the airplane and it first flew in 1971. At the time it was powered by an 0-320 with a constant speed prop. N110JH was lost to and engine failure on takeoff in August of 1972. Following Oshkosh of 1976, Dad ordered a bunch of stuff from Ken Knowles and the rebuild of 347 started again. The only parts that survived the post crash fire were the horizontal and vertical stabs. The airplane next flew again in 1978 as I was graduating from High School. This time around - N45881 - as it was registered, was(is) powered by an 0-360 with a constant speed propeller. I soloed the Thorp in August of 1979 with a private pilot's license and about 220 hours. My younger brother soloed the T-18 the following year. Sadly, Dad sold N45881 in 1985. It is currently owned by Rick Shoup.
Fast forward to yesterday when I purchased 2 T-18 projects. One was a previous flier that was taken apart for paint and never reassembled. The second one has yet to fly. As I spent many hours assisting with total construction, I'm hoping my experience will make the reassembly process smoother. That and I have a preference for Thorps.
I'm constructing a time line and a plan to determing the best place to begin. The first one to be completed will be the one that previously flew. It has a folding wing. I'll be posting and asking many questions throughout the process. You can also look forward to photos of the progress as I move forward.

Blue Skies,

Terry A. Hagle
Destin, Florida

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm 

Welcome - Wow - way cool Terry - I saw that advert and wondered if those projects would find a home - am looking forward to seeing them progress.

CHEERS!

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:59 pm 

Hey Terry,
How's things in beautiful Destin? Spent 4 years at Eglin and owned a house there for 8 years. My wife and I will be traveling back to visit relatives and friends the last week in January. Would love to swing by if you have time.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:36 pm 

Another folding wing ! Outstanding . If you plan to trailer , I can guide you thru the process . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:49 pm 

It's not Throwback Thursday - yet, But I'll be traveling out west and won't be able to post. Here's a picture of N45881 in November 1984.
I think I look just the same....

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:58 pm 

Just to update this thread.
66WT flew for the first time on Aug 8th. After some 'adjustments' she flew again on Sept 18th and continues to fly and rack up Tach time. It's a good honest 160 hp fixed pitch bird. As of today, I'm halfway to having the pants installed. Shortly, 66WT will go on the market and be available for adoption. I know she'll find a good home. I'm anxious to get what will be 218TH down from the attic and begin the assembly process for my keeper. In this photo- upper right- the big box is the canopy and windshield for TH. The fuselage is to the right of the red parts washer...

Profile Personal album