Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Binder
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:44 pm 

James Grahn wrote:
Well, yes and no. We sell S-18 plans and parts. The T-18 plans and design rights were recently purchased by someone else. I made contact with them several weeks ago WRT another owner wanting T plans. I'm not sure if anything became of that. I'll ask.
Cubes

Well let me know if you get ahold of plans you can sell. I'm going to pull this all apart this weekend and see what I might need. I will probably source those bushings from you. I have the ability to modify them to fit if need be but don't really want to start from scratch to build my own bushing.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:03 am 

James Grahn wrote:
Well, yes and no. We sell S-18 plans and parts. The T-18 plans and design rights were recently purchased by someone else. I made contact with them several weeks ago WRT another owner wanting T plans. I'm not sure if anything became of that. I'll ask.
Cubes

Assuming you are referencing my desire to replace drawings I am missing, I haven't checked back with him since then either. Been to busy to do much extra on my aircraft beyond simply keeping it in the air and not doing a good job of that. It has been nearly a month since I have been able to fly it.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:20 am 

That too. I had a man in Florida contact me for a full set.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 pm 

Just a thought, a few years ago I converted some picture slides to digital for my dad. Microfish isn't much different . There may be a blueprint or copy shop close by that could convert your drawings to pdf or an image for you.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

rhartmaier
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am 

I found Teflon impregnated bushings from a company called Kaman Industrial Technologies many years ago. They are really nice for spots with rotational movement. A quick search reveals that they do not list them on the website though. I purchased them through a local supplier of bearings and bushings. Perhaps Kamen can be contacted to find out if they are still available. I will post a photo when time permits. You may need to ream(not drill!) over size if the hole has become elongated. They used to come in lots of different diameters and thicknesses.

Good luck,

Bob

Binder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:41 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
Just a thought, a few years ago I converted some picture slides to digital for my dad. Microfish isn't much different . There may be a blueprint or copy shop close by that could convert your drawings to pdf or an image for you.

I will look into that. I'm sure my brother would know about this since he's a programmer. I'll check with local ad/print shops.

Thanks for all the great info and help. Post just above with the impregnated bushings, please post that when you find it.

As for right now I made some marks and actually checked the true play at the stabilator. I'm only 1/16th vertical movement and less than 1/16th fore/aft movement on my stabilator. I checked David Read and Lee Walton's airplanes and they have similar play in all areas as mine. Lee's was a little more tight on 1 side than mine but close on the other. His anti-servo connections were a little tighter but close.

My anti-servo play reduced with a re-torque of the bolts.

We are battling some low compression right now. In the 60's on 3 cylinders and high 50's on one. I need to fly it some to see if the compressions come up. It has been a lower compression range for the last 10 years in the logs and after sitting since february I think I have a stuck ring. No oil eating (only 2 qts added between oil changes at 30 hours). We can't find rings for it so I'm going to search on here to find some sources because I'll need them sooner rather than later.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:10 pm 

Is there something special about your O-290? I have never looked for them but I wouldn't think rings would be too hard to come by since there are plenty of O-290's in service. If you need to, there might be an engine builder listed on http://www.southernairboat.com/ that would know where to get some.

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
Is there something special about your O-290? I have never looked for them but I wouldn't think rings would be too hard to come by since there are plenty of O-290's in service. If you need to, there might be an engine builder listed on http://www.southernairboat.com/ that would know where to get some.

Secret ninja squirrels in my engine need special rings.

Actually it's just a standard o290 g converted to a D. All the places the ap called said they don't have any parts for them since lycoming stopped supporting it.

If there are sources then awesome. I know the new thread about Pistons has 2 companies mentioned for rings. That would be awesome. Now to decide if I should use higher comp Pistons to get s little more go out of it. Hmm ;D

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:28 pm 

Go big or go home ! More power Mr. Scott ! :P If you have 1/16" play you're doing OK . ::) I've seen a few stabs where if you placed a quart of milk on the tip and moved it up and down you end up with butter ! :o

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:46 pm 

I have been searching for O-290D rings and they are hard to find BUT, Aircraft Specialties (http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/) in Tulsa, OK appear to have some of the part numbers in stock. I would call them direct to check stock rather than order anything online. They haven't been very good about letting me know if something goes back-order.

On the airboat side, you might try Outlaw Aircraft Engines. I have never dealt with him but he has a good reputation in the airboat forums.

I have also read that rings for an O-435 will fit the O-290. I can't confirm that but... it's on the internet so it must be true ;)

Profile Personal album  

rhartmaier
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 pm 

This is not the Kaman Teflon impregnated Kaman sleeve bearing, but similar:

http://www.asbbearings.com/steel_backed_bearings.html

There is a Kaman dealer near me, so I may stop in and find out if they are still available.

Bob

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
I have been searching for O-290D rings and they are hard to find BUT, Aircraft Specialties (http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/) in Tulsa, OK appear to have some of the part numbers in stock. I would call them direct to check stock rather than order anything online. They haven't been very good about letting me know if something goes back-order.

On the airboat side, you might try Outlaw Aircraft Engines. I have never dealt with him but he has a good reputation in the airboat forums.

I have also read that rings for an O-435 will fit the O-290. I can't confirm that but... it's on the internet so it must be true ;)

Thank you! I'll call them up and see what I can find. I was also going to track down those sources from the guy DanaL on here that is making more pistons. He posted 2 sources.

Unfortunately I can't multi quote. Rich, I feel more comfortable with my play now that I have compared it. Thanks!

Rhart, thanks for the info on those impregnated bearings!