Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

1albee
 Post subject: Removable Belly Access
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am 

Just finished installing a new ADS-B Transponder, new master cylinders and a alternate static port. My plane has a removable belly access panel that is about 18" X 34" aft of the rudder pedals to the box structure for the flight controls. Without this access panel this job would have been a real pain. I am 6' and about 200 LBS and me fitting into this area without this access would have required additional bad language and spilled blood. I was able to sit on the hanger floor and work through this access to get the work done. I recommend that if you are in the construction phase you consider adding this wonderful feature to your project.

Phil Albee
118BC

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm 

Sometimes in life you are dealt a great hand ! ;) This is one of those times ! :P BING , BANG , BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:18 pm 

I wish I had one. I'm still digging to get to my tank. Last obstacle is a lateral angle between WL 42 longerons. It seems to be a grounding bar.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm 

me too. it would be a huge plus to have that access.

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 am 

I believe mine was installed some time after the plane was built.
Phil

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:02 am 

Drill out all of the rivets holding the .040 cockpit floor on and replace them with #8 flathead screws and nutplates. I've done that on three airplanes so far. A two day job max, with the proper tools and supplies. Make sure you use solid nutplates, not "sliders."

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 pm 

I would say that having the removable belly has saved me more than two days while working on the plane in the one year + I have owned the aircraft. I don't know if I have the patients (and unskinned body parts) to have made the hundreds of trips in and out of the cockpit each time I needed a tool or part.

Phil

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:18 am 

As I am putting N444DD back together I am thinking about doing a removable floor modification. Not sure I am up for that much more additional work but it is probably worth it in the long run. Sounds like the method of drilling out all the floor rivets and replacing with 6-32 or 8-32 nut plates is a popular method. That method seems to leave all the floor support angles in place, how have you found working around those angles in gaining access to what you want to work on? The Roy Farris method outlined in NL 142 looks like it would give better access (and might require a little more work), is there any structural concern in using Roy's method? I would appreciate hearing about your experiences, thoughts or opinions on the subject. Thank you in advance.

Dave

fytrplt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:31 pm 

On mine, the floor angles are removable, too.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:24 pm 

Bob do your rudder pedals and brakes stay in place when you remove the floor stringer angles? Any chance you have any pictures or sketches of your method? Just trying to picture how you have done yours. Do you have any opinion on the structural integrity of the NL 142 method?

Thanks

Dae

david read
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:51 pm 

If you come to OSH you can look at Gary Green’s method. I did mine the same way. The whole floor behind the rudder pedals comes out. I really like the accessibility

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:09 am 

Dae, My floor was patterned after Ken Brock's set up. On my flying plane, the pedal stringers come loose when the screws are removed. It is best to undo the rudder cables at the rudder before taking the floor screws out. As far as strength is concerned, the screws have better shear strength than visits as long as you do not use floating nutplates.. On my project, Scrappy, I built it so the stringers stay in place when the screws are removed.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:30 pm 

Dave thanks for the post, I will not be at OSH but am interested in what Gary Green's method is but could not find any pictures that I could get to open up tp look at. I might just have to stop by Olney or maybe see you at Shumway in August.

Bob thanks for the info on strength, are there any info/pictures of the Ken Brock method available?

Thanks again guys.

Dave

pacer18a
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:44 am 

Just checking back in to see if anyone knows where I could find online any info and pictures of the Gary Green and the Ken Brock removable floor methods?

I am leaning towards using a modified Roy Farris method since the floor is currently in place but open to some ideas, I am getting close to pulling the trigger.

Thanks

Dave
N444DD

mrtex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm 

Dave,

I am a newbie and I hope these photos contribute to your efforts. These were taken for my photo log the morning I put the floor back in. Let me know if you need a pic from a particular angle and I'll see if I have it. Note: this center section design must be installed from the top after the floor assembly is attached from the bottom and the rudder cables are re-attached.

Matt