Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

1albee
 Post subject: ADS-B
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:35 am 

Anyone installed ADS - B out yet? I have ADS-B in with a GDL 39 to a Garmin 696 but no ADS -B in, looking at what's around. I am leaning to a one box solution, due to no room and expensive of an WASS GPS to feed it information. Just kicking tires now but will need to do something in the next year or so. I keep hearing about being an experimental there may be a lower cost solution???

Phil
N118BC

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
 Post subject: Re: ADS-B
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:45 am 
I've talked to Rick Garcia at Gulf Coast Avionics and his comment was to wait , as the options and price will come down in the next couple years. I would read the Vans Airforce website for information

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:11 am 

I am watching this too. I haven't done anything yet because the prices to get equipped are so high, but I sure would like to go ahead and knock it out if I could.

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:19 am 

My old "Terra"-ble radios began failing, the com radio reception faded and the transponder quit.
I'm looking at ADS-b seriously for the first time.
Right now, I'm considering the Garmin GTX-335;
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the- ... 40939.html
And the Appareo Stratus:
http://www.appareo.com/stratus-adsb-out/
Both are ADS-b out on 1090 Mhz, the frequency that is accepted around the world. ADS-b In can be handled with a Stratus in box or a roll your own Stratux kit box, of which I have built 2.
Ipad or Android tablet handles the display chore.
Any comments and critique are welcome, I haven't pulled the trigger and bought one yet.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:51 pm 

I could change tomorrow because I go 5 different ways on this every other day as it is, but.....now I'm thinking that since I already have ADSB-IN, I can get 2020 compliant (ADSB-OUT) the cheapest by going with the Garmin GTX335 transponder (that has the TSOed internal GPS) for about $3,600. But, then on the other hand, if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I wanna spend a little more and get a WAAS capable GPS I can use for approaches. Not that I would necessarily need to get that low on approach in my Thorp, but I really enjoy instrument approaches/practice, etc....

edit:i clicked Scott's link on the appareo, and it looks like its about $3,000....so there I go again....

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:21 pm 

I have installed a Navworx ADS600-EXP unit in my bird, it has a device that clamps on the transponder antenna cable so I didn't have to replace my King KT-76 transponder. It has built-in wifi and sends traffic and weather to FlyQ EFB on my iPad. It has an internal non TSO waas gps. One feature of this unit that I like is when squawking 1200 it goes into anonymous mode, i.e. sends N0 (that's a zero) for tail number and a random ICAO number, the FAA don't need to know who I am when I'm not talkin' to em. I order this unit April 2015, recieved and installed it in Oct. My total cost was $1100 including unit, gps antenna and UAT antenna, the price has since gone up. I have been very happy with the performance of it and have been able to see traffic that probably would have gone unnoticed with out it. That said, there is currently a proposed AD on some of the Navworx ADS-B units so you would probably want to wait for it all to shake out.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 pm 

Bruce...I am looking at the same unit as I like not having to drill more cut outs in my dash or change out any current avionics . I believe the FAA AD pertains to the NAVWORX ADS600 units for certified AC . It has something to do with the internal GPS not being an approved TSO unit ? ??? The cost for the EXP600 has gone up as I think it is now about $1,700 with all the attachments . Where did you mount the box ? :P I was thinking under the seat ? ;) Again I am not fully unhappy until the FAA is happy ! :o

RB O0
BaBaLo

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:56 am 

Rich,
I mounted my box under the pass seat, next to the xponder antenna, easy access to the cable.

If you read the proposed AD carefully it includes the ADS600-EXP, model 200-8013-.... which has the same non TSO gps as the ADS600-B units. Here's AOPA's ditty about it https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/october/20/faa-seeks-removal-of-navworx-uats?utm_source=ePilot&utm_medium=Content&utm_content=gear&utm_campaign=161020epilot

There was also a later note about this in the AOPA e-pilot news that gives me the impression that a FAA inspector got his panties all in a twist about something and is using a very big hammer to sqwish it, al la Bob Hoover, IMHO

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 am 

Bruce...you are correct about the AD and the ADS600EXP . :o I am sure they will "hammer" this out and then I'll pull the trigger .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:05 am 

I've got the same unit as Bruce does for my new project. It''s a nice box, with more bang for the buck than anything else out there that's full in/out, has built in wifi, "stealth mode", etc. I don''t need the plug-in sensor that clamps around your transponder antenna cable, but that's another feature for those that don''t have a newer transponder that it can be wired directly to. You may also have to replace your altitude encoder if it doesn't have RS-232 outputs. Navworx is trying to resolve the issue with the FAA one way or another. Their website addresses that with the latest info - http://www.navworx.com.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

bfinney
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:19 pm 

The Navworx monitor device will read your baro alt from the transponder or if your encoder has RS232 out you can use that instead. My encoder has RS232 but I haven't crawled under the panel to install the wires from the encoder to the ADS-B box yet so I'm letting the TransmonSPE device read both the squawk code and the baro altitude, works fine, lasts a long time.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:54 pm 

I tried to call Navworx Friday and was not able to get through. I wanted to talk to them on when they thought they may have things worked out with the feds. It sounds like it may be better to wait a little longer to see what comes on the market.

Phil

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:28 pm 

1albee wrote:
I tried to call Navworx Friday and was not able to get through. I wanted to talk to them on when they thought they may have things worked out with the feds. It sounds like it may be better to wait a little longer to see what comes on the market.

Phil

Phil,

If you check out their website with the link I posted above, it's explained that their phone lines have been overwhelmed by volume, & explains when a resolution is expected. They're expecting an FAA decision on or before December 20, and have committed to making it right for their customers regardless of which way it goes.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

1albee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:28 am 

John,
Thanks for the info. Probably should have gone to the net first, but I am old enough that people laugh when I break out the phone book when I am looking for something locally!!!! :)
Phil

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:10 am 

What's a phone book ? Is this something new ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album