Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

KWK
 Post subject: a pleasant surprise
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:51 pm 

I fit!

My teenage son and I are each about 6'5". We haven't found a single homebuilt in which we fit well, until this past Saturday. David Read, the Thorp Ambassador here in Illinois, was kind enough to fly up to attend our EAA chapter's fly-in for experimental aircraft. My son and I had a chance to look over his plane and sit in a standard width T-18. Yes, our heads touched the plexiglass, but a look under the seat revealed several inches available to drop the rear of the seat bottom. Recline a bit more the bulkhead behind the seats when building, and it would be a decent fit for us.

Dave's plane has a narrow center "tunnel," the result of running the rudder cables down the sides as well as using electrics for the flaps and elevator trim. Even in the standard body, there was enough room for our hips to drop lower.

Dave explained how the channel on the top spar cap is positioned, and then the light finally went on. I'd wondered about that channel section and why Thorp had used it. Most aluminum planes have a built up box section through the cabin to stabilize top spar cap, from buckling under the compressive strain. With the heavy channel, the spar can take care of itself, and it's simpler to build (albeit heavier) than a built up box. The side benefit for us is the lack of structural elements under the seat, so they can be lowered to suit. Thank you, Mr. Thorp, and thank you, again, Mr. Read.

Karl

Binder
 Post subject: Re: a pleasant surprise
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:55 am 

Karl,

Just wanted to toss a line out and say that I went down to visit with David the day after you did. I'm from Terre Haute and purchased a thorp after flying with David.

jeffbinder@gmail.com is my email. We should all get together and build up the thorp community here in the wabash valley.