Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

blackopsspook
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 am 

Hi All!

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, so a big HELLO to everyone!

I'm looking for the drawing and/or a better solution to affixing the instrument panel to the bulkhead aft of the firewall. The items that were fabricated were made of wood and a large grommet (I guess! See image), and affixed with sheet metal screws as you will see in the images. These are completely worn out, so I'd like to know if anyone has a clue if there is a drawing that shows this? I haven't found it, but I'm still looking.

Alternatively, I'm searching for a better way of affixing the new IS that's going to replace the one in the image. It's a fold down panel and obviously it needs some form of anti vibration/buffering system. I know someone out there, in this group of innovative individual has devised a better method for affixing the IS to the bulkhead. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Larry Guillot

::N18VP::

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 am 

how about a plate nut on the backside of the bulkhead? Then use a long AN3 bolt through the panel and screwed into the platenut. Slide a piece of AL tubing on the bolt shaft in between the panel and bulkhead. You could even go so far as put a big washer on each end of the tubing where it touches the panel and the bulkhead.

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 pm 

Make a "flag" from a piece of metal tube and a 1 by 2 inch flat stock. Bolt the flag to the lower left and right corners so you end up with a tube sticking out each side. Bolt a small piece of angle to the WL 42 longeron with a hole in it. Put a rubber grommet in the hole. Once the whole thing is bolted up, you have the IP supported on each side by rubber grommets. The nice part is you can fold it down.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 pm 

Have a look at McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts for isolation mounts, they have a selection of different styles.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

blackopsspook
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:20 pm 

Thank you Bruce, that is precisely what I was hoping for. I can bolt the isolation mounts into the bulkhead and use AN bolts to secure the IP. That's perfect!

L...

::N18VP::