Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

stug
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:37 am 

I am about to cut the deck part # 669 and was considering some of the possible options.

1. As per plans gives no access to the baggage area through the deck.
2. The addition of a small cutout would allow somewhere for maps or document to be easily access and stored in flight.
3. Large access hole gives plenty of access but will need reinforcing.
4. Jump seat. - Too complex for me

Option 2 appeals and I have attached the flat layout drawing of what I am thinking. Should I reinforce the area around the hole, would the addition of an .032 doubler around the hole to recover enough strength, would I need more. Does anyone want to offer a suggestion or pictures?

I also note from past newsletters that some builders talked about reinforcing the aft cockpit frame where it attaches to the deck as passengers tend to want to lean on that area, it that a common mod. if so does any one want to share how that was done.
Other ideas, suggestions welcome.

Regards
Stuart

Attachments:
669 deck.jpg
669 deck.jpg [ 206.78 KiB | Viewed 5617 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:52 am 
The large baggage access is quite convient. It does require several mods. Cutting the opening and forming the edge, re-inforcement of the deck and the bulk head seat rest. The canopy frame will require that the center crossrail be moved back and tabs added as not to allow the canopy to bow out. You can make the canopy removable for easy access to baggage. I built N30WW that way and have never regretted it as I can stuff a Model A Ford block in the baggage area or 100 pounds on luggage. A lot of work but worth it.

stug
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:55 pm 

Thanks Bill
I can see the attraction for making the baggage area more accessable but all that additional work would put me off and i am not sure I will ever need be carrying ford engine parts.

I should probably add that my idea was not just to have a hole in the deck going all the way through to the baggage space rather i was thinking of making it a separate storage pocket so small items would be reachable in flight. my thinking being that if sized right and kept within reach the pocket could allow maps or whatever to sit close to the deck level thus making it possible to reach over ones shoulder in flight and grab stuff without too much twisting and turning. It's a compact cabin so I am not sure how practical or useful that idea is.
Stuart

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm 

Hi Stuart,

I have witnessed the benifit of having the large hole in the top deck whenever Bob and Bill pack up or unpack at a gathering. It sure would make loading and unloading 10 times easier, and even have some extra room for things to stick out the top a little.

Anyway, the person I purchased my Thorp from had mounted a pad on the deck between the sholder strap to fasten a camcorder. Since all I have used this for is to hold a couple of ink pins and a small screwdriver for checking the oil and gas, I have been thinking about taking the pad off and replacing it with a tray to hold maps, clip board etc. I was thinking maybe have a lip about 3/4 inch on the front and front half of the sides and maybe 3" on the back half, then I could still reach over to open close my rear vent.

Then I thought if I liked it, I could put another one on the outside of the sholder strap to maybe hold the wife's purse.

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:13 pm 

Matt the tray idea would work too and would make it easy to get at things but you may have a problem securing all the loose items. My thinking was to suspend the tray if you like just below the deck.
The more I think about it the more I think I will stick to the plans and leave the deck intact.

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:13 pm 

Matt the tray idea would work too and would make it easy to get at things but you may have a problem securing all the loose items. My thinking was to suspend the tray if you like just below the deck.
The more I think about it the more I think I will stick to the plans and leave the deck intact.

Profile Personal album