Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

stug
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 am 

Attached are some thoughts on how to assemble a T18 fuselage from a novice's perspective using parts that have been machine cut from CAD based drawings.
Most of the old newsletters describe matched hole tooling processes which is great but that described a process where the major parts were not machine cut.
Using the traditional construction but with components manufactured to higher tolerance should hopefully allow for further construction simplification.

It may exist but I have not seen a single definitive collective of hints and tricks and modifications and general building instructions for building the T18 fuselage. A single comprehensive instruction document is partly my attempt at a sanity check but it may also be a help for other novice builders trying to gain an understanding of the build process.
There are numerous omissions in this version 1 document but I would be interested in collecting any additional hints or suggestions that may help improve the content especially before before we start riveting the fuselage
Stuart

Attachments:
T18 fuesalage assembly sequence.pdf [187.51 KiB]
Downloaded 763 times
 Profile Personal album  

BobMoe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:39 am 

Stuart,

Lee has some nice shots of the fuse construction here:

http://thorpaircommand.com/index.php?pa ... &root=root

Bob MO

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 pm 

Yes i have looked at those pictures a number of times, i was hoping to include some of them in the document if Lee doesn't mind. In a way it was looking those photos that prompted the writing down of the process. The pictures are great and show what it should look like but not what happened in between each shot. Maybe the fusealage isn't seen as complicated by experienced builders and the focus of attention is on the wing and other more complex parts but for a novice builder without experience the whole project is a major deal, ideally I'd like to have access to a builders handbook with detailed step by step instructions, not sure this document will get it that far, but ...

On a side issue does any one happen to have the original Thorp EAA build instructions, in text format, not just a scan of the original but the actual text converted into word processor compatible text? If i could get a copy i can paste those steps in full into this document.

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 am 

Have updated the instructions and added some extracts out of the original EAA articles with John Thorps build instructions.
Hopefully it is of some use, at least it is helping me think through the process if nothing else.
There are still many issues untouched so any thoughts, comments or corrections are welcome.
Stuart

Attachments:
T18 fuesalage assembly sequenceV3.pdf [278 KiB]
Downloaded 656 times
 Profile Personal album  

qjayz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm 

I know this is an old thread but since the information would still be very helpful for me... Could you please update or otherwise fix the link to the building recommendations? The link still works but the document, once downloaded, comes up blank.
Thanks

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm out of town right now, the easiest way to fix this is for Stug to make a new posting an reattach the file. Sorry guys, when I moved the site over to the new hosting provider some of the files became corrupted.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:43 pm 

Here is an updated version. There are a few new comments but there is plenty of scope for further refinement to this document. I know I have many un asked and answered questions so feel free to post both questions and or helpful hints to include.
At the rate I am building there is plenty of time to get all the answers before I will ever have finished the aircraft.

Attachments:
T18 fuesalage assembly sequence V7.pdf [1.45 MiB]
Downloaded 3117 times

qjayz
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm 

Thanks for the prompt responses guys. I'm sure I won't be the only one to appreciate the availability of those instructions.