Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

ljkrume
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm 

Hi Fellas!

Sun n Fun was great. Met some great T-18 er’s too, and kudos to Bob again also!

So who all has wet wings? I made provision when I built my wings but didn’t plumb it in yet, cause I just wanted to get the ship flying first. My plane is partially taken apart now and now that I’m thinking about plumbing that in, I’m wondering how would a Thorp fly with 144 lbs spread out there in the wings?

How does it feel to bank and turn or skid with all that extra inertia? If you have to land how responsive would it go? Or, if you sprung a leak on one side and couldn’t drain the other soon enough, could you handle it ok with 72 lbs on one side? One inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks,
Les Krumel,
Albuquerque

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:27 am 

So here is my anecdotal info with 8 gallons per wing. If I get my wing tank fuel levels unbalanced, I have to hold in aileron deflection to stay on course. I burn all my wing tank fuel at the beginning of the flight so I land with nothing in the wing tanks. I do not notice anything different as far turns or skids, but I typically only fly straight and level. I don't notice a difference the times I have landed with full wing tanks. If I sprung a leak on one side, I would get tired of holding aileron deflection, so I would probably land and drain the other tank.

My aileron roll trim tab is enough to address some unbalanced fuel, but not enough to address a totally full tank on one side but not the other.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I regularly fly 2 wet wing equipped T-18's.

T-18C (wet outboard sections - 32 Gallons total) I cannot tell the difference with full fuel in the air (this is with a 'C' wing). The airplane is completely controllable with one wing full and the other empty as well. On the ground best to taxi slow, avoid bumps and try not to land with fuel in the wings. Roll trim is definitely nice to have or a wing leveler as you need to burn off fuel in batches (in my setup) Bob Highley's set up is immune to this as he fills the main from the wings as I pull directly from the wings to the motor.

T-18 (standard wet inboard sections) - Nothing at all on this one ... I tanker fuel all the time, no impact on flight characteristics at all.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:10 am 

Ditto Lee. Not a problem. Can't quite trim out full fuel in one wing, but the auto pilot will handle it. Landing not an issue.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Kraken
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:35 pm 

I have the wet wings, but I usually don't use them unless it's a long cross country. Four hours is my limit and I start pumping at about 2/3 rds empty on the main. Mine pumps it up into the main, 15 minutes each side. I don't see a lot of difference in the handling, but I'm just straight and level too. When I land most of the wing fuel has been transfer'ed so I can't speak to any real difference there. It is nice to have the extra fuel when you need it.

ljkrume
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 am 

Thanks guys for the response! I kinda expected positive answers and glad to hear from experience. I’ll go ahead and plumb them in and be mindful for balance in flight. Going to use the Facet 40106 pump. Happy flying!
Les

Profile Personal album