Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
 Post subject: Pro seal remover
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:58 pm 

I got the skins off my wings. They were set wings. And I want to make them wet wings again.

Does anyone know what will dissolve or clean off pro seal of tank sealant?

I'd like to start its a clean surface of the spar when I reseal them.

I can clean the thicker stuff off with a putty knife. But what will cut through the sealant to finish cleaning everything up?

I assume MEK will, but that stuff is nasty stuff. It will dissolve anything including humans! I'm hoping there is some less nasty stuff that will work. But being fuel resistant means that it is likely impervious to most things.

If anyone has an idea as to what might work, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
 Post subject: Re: Pro seal remover
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:11 pm 

The airlines use an abrasive flap wheel. I saw them at NBAA one year. Check an industrial paint supplier. I believe it was a 3M product. Proseal is designed to resist all solvents. If the bond is sound, you don't need to go down to bare metal. Just rough up the surface you want to bond with.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:44 pm 

Polysulfide remover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZ2itNr9Qo
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... 02449b.pdf
I have used it to rebuild 2 RV-4 tanks. These tanks are notorious for leaking. Also not helped when flying thru the tops of trees on final approach.
I cut access openings in the rear tank baffle and worked inside the tank with polysulfide remover, scotchbrite pads, and craft (popsicle) sticks to scrape the pro-seal out. then flush out with water.
not difficult, just messy and requires some elbow grease, which you could get from Fraze? Or maybe Rich, his plane is done so he doesn't use much anymore? ;)

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 pm 

Everyone is invited to my Ponderosa to help use up the 55 gallon drum of elbow grease I have on hand for the current list of house projects ! :P Right now I only use about a quart a year on the AC . ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:51 am 

Thanks guys!

Bob, There was just a lot of sealant and I was wanting to get most of it removed. No sense in doubling up the weight of the sealant. So removing what I can and going over it with sand paper or whatever may be the route I take.

Also I may need to do a little more cleaning up of the rings and plates that made up the tank access panels. I figured I may as well re-use them as all the nut plates and all are already there. So that would save a lot of fabrication time. But I also want to make sure things are cleaned up enough so that I won't end up with seepage.

Bob or Bill Williams. DO you know for sure what Les used for sealant on his wings. Was it brand name Pro-Seal or some other product. I want to make sure whatever I use is compatible with the existing. The stuff in my wings is very dark chocolate brown, nearly black in color. I think it was built in the early 1980's.

Looks like Van's has some other product out for tank sealant in their catalog. What would be the recommendations of the group for what I should use?

I know this stuff is a disastrous mess. But that is just the way it is and I will just have to deal with it like everyone else.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:26 pm 
It was Pro Seal 1 and 2 cant remember but one is thick and the other is a liquid that you can brush on as a final seal
The wings were built early 1990's
I have used the Vans sealant and was quite pleased with it and had no problems going over the ProSeal

flyingfool
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:53 pm 

Thanks Bill! I meant early 90's but my fat fingers and small phone make for some interesting things!

Yes the interior where there is thickness is dull while the exposed surface has a sheen or shine to it. I can say I am impressed as I see no evidence of 100LL stains or leaks. Or did Les use auto fuel almost exclusively?

Also the pro seal seems to have stayed soft and playable. I thought maybe with age it would get brittle. But having been nine dry for years it is still workable and in thin strings it is even somewhat stretchy.

So 35 year old pro seal is still pretty solid for those wanting to know!

Profile Personal album