Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

dan
 Post subject: Fuel Guage and S ender
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:07 pm 

Hey Bob!! You posted model numbers of a Stewart Warner fuel Guage and sender that you have had much success with here some time ago, could you please post that again, it's inspection time for me so I thought I would change out the sender and the Guage whilst I have it down for inspection. I would greatly appreciate it, although I don't revel in the fact that I am going to dismantle my cockpit........Thanks Bob........Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 pm 

Dan: You don't have an inspection/removal panel on the top skin above the sender ? ??? Bad Dog ! >:(

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 am 

I know I know, I shoulda put the inspection cover in, I considered machining one up and going ahead and doing it this time around we will see. I have to pull the tank anyway as I am going to move the vent. I am going to cork off the vent tube on the top of the tank, and move it to the filler neck, I will then be able to top it off and not worry about a bit of siphoning going on. I will tap me a hole in the side of the filler neck for a 3/8" barbed fitting and attatch the vent hose right there, should then be able to filler up just almost right to the neck. I have a pretty good list of the things I want to look at during this whole process as it has been about 5 years since I have went poking around up behind the fire wall.Seems that everything I look at is as it was 5 years ago when I started flying the the thing, I am beginning to wonder if a Thorp will ever wear out if it is built right and lubed right when put into service. The crazy thing still has 5 year old grease on everything and its no different than it was when the final was done on assembly. I have well over 300 hrs on the air frame, it all still looks like it was just signed off yesterday........Good airplane, fantastic design, solid structure, fantastic utility and extremely rugged, Im kinda proud of the little bugger! Matter of fact Im down right proud of all of em..........Dan

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 am 

My SW gage and sender has been in the tank for twenty-nine years and 2700 hrs. No problems to report...no need to remove the tank in all that time. I got them at a hot rod shop back then; don't recall the part number. I will say that you need to use good rubber fuel line tubing for the vents. An aluminum line would even be better. Tank vent needs to be on top of the tank at the rear so that it is in the highest point in flight.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:24 pm 

Thanks Bob, I think I found it, does your level sensor hang down about half way in the Tank? ..Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:02 pm 

I only used Goodyear "Made in the USA fuel line for my vent line . It should out live me ! :o That inspection cover only took me a few hours to make and install if I remember right . I had to have it off at least once to adjust the pots on the sender to correct the fuel level on the gauge . BOOM !

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm 

Dan,

Sounds about right. You can rig it so that at half tank reading, it is more towards the top of the tank. Since the tank holds more in the top part than the bottom, you will want to bias the arc so it is linear with the amount of fuel onboard. Also "empty" should leave you with about three to five gallons.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 pm 

I have my Westach Capacitance sender set that when it reads MT there is still about 4-5 gallons left ? ??? My shorts start to get a little damp when the needle is below 1/4 ! ::) Must have been all my Military over water flying ? ::)

TEXICO MAN CALL THE TANKER !

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:23 am 

Thanks Bob, I believe there was a mis match on the guage and the sender I used and this is why it lasted not very long.. the sender I have in the tank drops in about half way was just wondering if yours was the same. I don't want to replace the thing again although my fuel stick is very accurate the guage will let you know if you are dumping fuel overboard for what ever malfunction. Rich, I thought that moisture trouble was from getting old, with this new fuel guage my moisture troubles should be eradicated........Pow! Pow! Boom! Boom! Shazzam!!!

Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49 pm 

Dan, i've been thinking about the same thing, moving the vent to the filler neck. Let me know how that works out ;D

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:36 pm 

Do you have a siphoning problem out the vent tube Lou ? I have had it happen a couple times so I can fill to almost 25gal and that's about it...the little extra would be nice to have.....Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 pm 

Dan: You are only a trickle away from that moisture problem ! ??? POW !

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:45 pm 

No sir I don't have a problem with my tank, I top the sucker off, but I know it's a problem for some here. I just can't leave well enough alone I guess. C:-)

Where I come from a tank that can only hold 25 gal is a 25 gal tank, not 29. a Thorp should be able to hold at least 33 gal useable, if ya know what I mean. >:D

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Alright fellas, the standard T-18 tank holds 29 gallons ... If you're not getting that something's a miss. I've heard some recent rumors of 23 gallon tanks. Not sure whats up with that but theres plenty of room for 29.

Regarding the siphoning issue, I've never had a problem with toping off and going.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:47 am 
Lee, could it be imperial gallons? I've seen some poorly constructed tanks and installations and not surprised they hold less than twenty nine. Fill mine to where fuel is running out of the filler neck it with vent over.