Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

thorpdrvr
 Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Cap
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 pm 

Ryan,

The oring fits tight in the opening. I had too loosen the nut that sets how much the oring gets compressed when the handle is flipped closed. If the handle is real tight when closing, it doesn't relax the oring enough to make it easily removable. Had to adjust it with a couple tries to get a good compromise. I also put a little fuel lube ( fuel proof grease) on the oring to make it easier to get out. Even then it is tight but it works ok. Sometimes when removing cap I use a small screwdriver to pry a little on the edge of the cap, but usually isn't needed.

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 pm 

good info. muchas gracias.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 pm 

The ring needs grease as stated...on a regular basis ! ??? It also helps with "expanding" the O-Ring to seal to opening . You will know when it needs grease when the lock lever is extremely hard to push down into the locked position . :o

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

campipilot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:36 am 

Ok this forum is a bit old....wondering if there are any further thoughts. I bought a plane that sat a while in the heat and has three tanks. All of the rubbers on the caps are horrible. Very hard to get the caps off or on.

What is the best solution? The ACS cap? I actually emailed them with the deminsions of our tank filler hole and they said the cap spruce sells of theirs will fit....but it seems all y'all have had to sand or machine yours down and then still have an especially tight O ring.

My caps are a big pain to use and I'd like to find a solution but need three and want to take the best course.....without modifying my filler as my plane is flying. Suggestions please?

Thanks
Curtis
775-722-6342

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 am 
I have caps from Spruce on my outboard tanks that have a large O ring and compresses when locked, from time to time I put a little gas proof grease on them available from NAPA

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:32 am 

I had the same problems as you. I ended up I buying the Vans retro style fuel cap. http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.c ... =retro-cap

I cut out an aluminum ring and prosealed the ring into the lip of the fuel tank (outer diameter of ring was the width of the lip and inner diameter is the diameter of the female "socket" portion of the fuel cap). Then I placed the female part of the retro fuel cap into the ring and prosealed it to the ring. Et voila! I am very happy with it and I couldn't think of an easier solution to my problem.

I did not use the big flange on the left in the picture below.

Attachment:
cat-med_retro-cap[1].jpg
cat-med_retro-cap[1].jpg [ 8.28 KiB | Viewed 10686 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:24 am 

I replaced my PA-23 cap on the fuselage tank with a filler neck flange and cap salvaged from an old Jeep gas tank. It took a little reshaping but I was able to slide the flange over the existing filler neck. I was browsing http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... cat166.htm because none of the options on Aircraft Spruce appealed to me. They either didn't seem to fit without major surgery or were no different in practice than the one I was replacing. I think it took me about 30 minutes to "adjust" and install... took about an hour to get the flange off the old tank though (sweat soldered and spot welded).

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:53 am 

Here is a picture of the installed flange. I used a screw along with sealant inside and out to secure it in place.

Attachments:
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG [ 162.17 KiB | Viewed 10674 times ]

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson
 Profile Personal album  

campipilot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 pm 

Bill Williams wrote:
I have caps from Spruce on my outboard tanks that have a large O ring and compresses when locked, from time to time I put a little gas proof grease on them available from NAPA

Bill, do you know are those caps the ACS 10455 from spruce? And did you need to machine them at all to fit in the hole? Are they hard to get in and out because of the O ring that you lube being a bit big?

Thanks
Curtis

campipilot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:32 pm 

Just talked to Cubes. He has a new OLD rubber that we could use to get new rubber pieces manufactured. Anyone know of a good place that could make those for us reasonably and solve this problem?

That would be great.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:33 pm 

Jeff : I saw that same cap on an episode of MASH ! ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:52 pm 

If the gasket is just a flat stamped piece then finding a rubber supply outfit to punch then out should be fairly easy if you live in or near a major city . If the part is molded then all bets are off . The is probably going to be a "set up charge" or a mold making process , plus a min. order for the little buggers . I got 12 of the old style ACS cap gaskets (they stopped producing the old cap) from the ACS factory in AZ and they mailed them to me for FREE ! I personally sent out the call for anyone needing one and mailed out everyone of them , including to AUS . BTW is this the old style ACS cap ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:09 am 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Jeff : I saw that same cap on an episode of MASH ! ???

RB O0

Might have been the same Jeep :o but I doubt it. I don't see any green in the layers of paint.

I was getting frustrated with Spruce because some items like the ACS 10455 didn't have a picture or description of how it is retained in the aircraft (for all I know it is just another pressure cap like the one I removed) and it didn't help that the only way to get dimensions was to read the product questions and/or make several phone calls.

Profile Personal album  

campipilot
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:32 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
If the gasket is just a flat stamped piece then finding a rubber supply outfit to punch then out should be fairly easy if you live in or near a major city . If the part is molded then all bets are off . The is probably going to be a "set up charge" or a mold making process , plus a min. order for the little buggers . I got 12 of the old style ACS cap gaskets (they stopped producing the old cap) from the ACS factory in AZ and they mailed them to me for FREE ! I personally sent out the call for anyone needing one and mailed out everyone of them , including to AUS . BTW is this the old style ACS cap ?

RB O0

campipilot
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:38 pm 

Oops I did that wrong, meant to respond to your quote. But put it in the file box.

Anyway Rich. Mine is the same as in the first post and picture of this thread. Cubes' plane has same as do many others I believe. You saw mine at Visalia I believe. 'Not sure if it's molded or stamped....can you tell?
I sure wish you still had three of those for me! But I bet many folks come under use new ones if we can get them made.

I know Cubes tried the ACS 10455 from spruce shaved down and was not happy with it. But I may have to go,that route as I can hardly get my caps off.