Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 pm 

I have a fuel fitting going into my carb, but once I screw it into place, it is facing about 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

How do you get a fitting to be facing the direction you want it to face and be screwed in tight enough to not leak?

Attachments:
File comment: fuel fitting orientation
IMG00793-20130320-1951.jpg
IMG00793-20130320-1951.jpg [ 336.05 KiB | Viewed 13008 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 pm 

Pretty sure when I put mine in it was a "tight fit ." Had to put a wrench on the carb nut while turing the AN fitting (should do that anyway) . Also the use of fuel lube helped . If it apprears that it is going to be too tight try another fitting . I have found in some cases no two fittings are the same . Different manufactuer , slightly longer length , slighty different cut on the threads , etc. Be careful what type of thread sealant you use . Precision has a bulletin out about the unauthorized use of certain sealants that may break off and clog fuel passages , etc. BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 pm 

Hi Ryan,
On the carburetor, I would replace that fitting with a steel one first of all. In my past experience, steel fittings are recommended in that location. I would personally use a good fuel-proof anaerobic thread sealing compound on the pipe threads for lubrication & to help prevent galling, as well as sealing. It is critically important to apply the sealant correctly & avoid the first couple of threads. There are differing opinions about using thread-sealing compounds - as Rich said, fuel-lube is fine. As you approach the proper position you have to make a decision about whether it is tight enough, or whether it will go another full turn. Usually a new fitting will have slight differences in the thread and it will end up tight in a different position than the first one did - especially steel vs. aluminum - as there are sometimes differences in the starting position of the threads. You might also consider going to a straight fitting on the carburetor, and using a 90 deg. female flared hose fitting, if that's what you require.

It seems to me that sometimes those inlet filter adapters have a different type of thread... a straight machine thread instead of a tapered pipe thread, where you would use a different fitting with an o-ring seal & a check nut. I might be wrong. Make sure you've got a female pipe-thread there if you're using a fitting with a tapered pipe thread.

I hope this is helpful.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:40 pm 

Good point John . I think Lycoming does recommend steel fittings on the engine . It's been a while , but pretty sure my fitting is steel on the carb . I'll have to look .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 pm 

If you use a straight an6 -to -pipe thread fitting, and a sweep elbow on the hose end, you can set the fitting to the carb 'just right' for tightness. A sweep elbow has much less restriction to flow, which might be important if you are using a gravity system.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm1389/overview/
The link should show a steel aeroquip 90 degree hose end to AN6 with a low restriction tube elbow.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 am 

A close nipple ("Pipe" Nipple, Rich) and coupling always solves those annoying problems. As a side note, be cautious with fittings - a friend of mine had an automotive fitting mated to an aviation fitting on his leaky brake line - one is 45 degree flare, and the other 37 degree (aircraft) flare - make sure they match.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:23 am 
Whoa! if talking about the fitting for a Marvel carburator it is a straight thread with a nut, O ring and an washer and not a pipe thread. This fitting is the same as the fuel pump fitting and can be positioned at any angle.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:25 pm 

I took off one of the fuel pump fittings to see if it would fit into my carburator fuel inlet, and no joy. It was slightly too big. I did some research over on the vans website some folks there had this same issue. Here is a picture of someones carb inlet (which looks just like mine)

Attachment:
carb.jpg
carb.jpg [ 68.23 KiB | Viewed 12937 times ]

Apparently, Van's drawing OP-28 says that a AN823-6D fitting gets installed into the carb.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

It has been a while since any carb work , so I went out to the hangar and dug up a fuel pump fitting and tried to fit it to a "spare" MA-4-5 carb . It was too large ??? , so I am pretty sure I used a AN822-6 steel fitting with fuel lube . I'll know 100% when I go to the airport Saturday morning . I'll report back . C:-)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:34 pm 

thanks for the help Rich. This stuff keeps me confused. I'll be glad when I get this thing installed and flying!

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:14 pm 

I still haven't figured out AN/pipe size fittings . >:D They don't make any cents to me . Like John and I said you can take 2 different fittings and they will not fit the same in the hole with regard to rotation . Thread cut , length of the fitting (however slight) and manufacturer . I do remember reading somewhere that Lycoming recommends steel fittings on the engine and I think that includes the carb . :P BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:50 pm 

yes, I will certainly use steel. I'll use a straight adapter coming out of the carb and an 90 degree adapter on the hose like Fraser and Scott recommend. That will solve the orientation problem. Thanks for all the help.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 pm 

Went to the Aerodrome to do a Maint. check flight and look at that "crazy" fitting on the carb. I did use a steel AN822 fitting and it points to approx. a 45 degree up position (about 2 O'clock) . ;D As a side note while I was holding short at 27R at KSEE the Memphis Belle taxied up behind me ! BOOM ! BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

you da man Rich. much appreciated for checking that.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Don't be fooled RB ..the real Memphis Belle is still undergoing restoration ... The ones an imposter! ;)

KEFD

Profile Personal album