Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

chuck
 Post subject: Fuel Tank Removal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 am 

Gents,

Sorry to bother you with possibly a redundant question. However, I've been digging through the newsletters knowing this has been brought up before and can't find it; so, I'm cutting to the chase.
It appears I have a Very slow or weep somewhere around my fuel tank connection at the base of the tank. After wiggling under the panel (remember I'm a shrimp) It actually looks as though it could be weeping above the bung at the bottom of the tank, possibly through the layers of fiberglass? Has anyone else had that happen? What's the best course of action for a possible repair while in place? If I have to remove does this require the panel being totally removed? (yuk) if so I'm assuming put a metal one in its place, is anyone out there building them these days or have one kicking around?

Thanks in advance!

While I'm in question mode I have another that I'll post under the appropriate category.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
 Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Removal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Chuck,
You can go a few routes ..
1.) pull the tank give it a proper inpection and perhaps choose to install an new one (metal or glass). We have a few folks that I'm sure will step up and make you a metal one, that or wait until CSA is back in operation (and yes that will happen).
2.) pull the tank and repair it on the bench.
3.) drain the tank, let it dry out, clean that leak REALLY REALLY well and seal it/repair it in place

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:41 pm 

If you need a metal tank, talk to CSA first. If Mike can

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 pm 

Thanks Lee and Lou. I'll try to get an up close view this weekend and attempt to determine which direction to take.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:20 pm 

Chuck : If the glass tanking is leaking it will need to be removed . You have to be breathing AVGas fumes in the cockpit , not to mention the potential fire hazard ? I have seen nothing but bad news on the Forum and in the NL's about the glass tanks. Personally I would not put a new or repaired glass tank back in , I would go with a metal tank . In fact I would go with the larger main tank (again I can't remember who is building a larger main tank...help me Lee !) . Get extended range/reserve w/o having to wet the wings ! BTW...is the fuel shut off valve at the base of the tank ?

Back when I was building I thought there might be a way to increase the size of the main tank and not have to wet the wings, but I already had the standard tank in and put that thought aside to make a larger tank as I wanted to finish the project. FWIW...I put a form of pro seal seal (got it from Van's) on all the exterior welds on my tank . BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 pm 

Rich,

I can't tell if the weep and I mean weep; in two days it hasn't amounted to a single drop, and I can't tell where exactly it's coming from. When I first open the canopy after for the first flight of the day is when I get a slight hint of 100. I'm assuming the fiberglass tank that's installed has probably been there since the aircraft was built and throught the years someone has probably over tightened the 90' elbow or worse, delamination of the glass? you can also see where someone has tried a repair before. anyway, the over size metal tank sounds appealing, but would it fit in the standard to drawing saddle?

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

218KR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:07 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Chuck : If the glass tanking is leaking it will need to be removed . You have to be breathing AVGas fumes in the cockpit , not to mention the potential fire hazard ? I have seen nothing but bad news on the Forum and in the NL's about the glass tanks. Personally I would not put a new or repaired glass tank back in , I would go with a metal tank . In fact I would go with the larger main tank (again I can't remember who is building a larger main tank...help me Lee !) . Get extended range/reserve w/o having to wet the wings ! BTW...is the fuel shut off valve at the base of the tank ?

Back when I was building I thought there might be a way to increase the size of the main tank and not have to wet the wings, but I already had the standard tank in and put that thought aside to make a larger tank as I wanted to finish the project. FWIW...I put a form of pro seal seal (got it from Van's) on all the exterior welds on my tank . BOOM !

RB O0

I believe the larger main tank was being built by Mr Read. Think I read it in one of the tiger tales? Seems like the way to go to me. I'm not an owner yet though. BOOM! :D

david read
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm 

There is an article in the August 2012 tiger tales. The tank has not flown yet, hopefully flight testing will start this spring/summer. Currently I am tangled up in cowling fabrication but she is starting to look like a plane again.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm 

Chuck : If you smell AVGas in the cockpit you need to find the source ! It may be the tank ? It may be a loose fitting or a bad valve ? Any blue stains ? It only takes a drop or two to fill the cockpit . It may also be a copilot with a case of "Bad Cheerios !" Has Fraser been in the right seat ? BOOM !
RB O0

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 pm 

RB: yep, blue stains on the backside of the access panel and around the base of the tank above the level of the threaded 90' elbow. I've decided, it's coming out.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 pm 

Good move Mr. Chuck ! Remove that beast . I like the smell of 100LL , but only after it has been thru the engine and out the exhaust ! You are not the first one to have problems with a glass tank . Removing the tank will also let you look at the vent line to see if it needs replacing and installing an access cover over the fuel sending unit . :P BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 am 

If your plane doesn't have a removeable floor, this would be a good time to do it.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 am 

Yea, I think that

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 am 

Gives you a good start on the behind the panel stuff. You may find your self taking the panel out just to do it right.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am 

Yea, I want to do it right while it's apart, just want to make sure I have it back together and ready for Sun n Fun!

KIWI

Profile Personal album