Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Wingnut
 Post subject: Outboard rudder cables
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 am 

I am in the process of modifying the center tunnel by installing electric flaps, trim and relocating the rudder cables outboard. I have found info on here regarding the trim systems. Does anyone have info or pictures on the rudder cable system they used when they have done this? Specifically pulley locations ? Thanks

KMLI

dickwolff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 pm 

Newsletters.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:03 pm 

Yep...NL's . Can't remember who did the write up, but it was very well done with great photos that explained the whole precess ! ;)

RB

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 am 

Tim - I have outboard cables - I'll take some photos of the attach points/routing and post them - suffice to say there are no pulleys in my setup - the cables run through the fuse bulkheads through a delrin fitting riveted in place - when I first got the plane, and when I did the conditional, I crawled back in the emp. and inspected each one - there is some wear, but not close to the metal....yet....will have to watch the wear rate on the delrin - a cable fray and breakage would be a disaster obviously - I think if I were to modify it, a small pulley riveted to the aft baggage compartment bulkhead (no plans in front of me) would be a good idea to keep as much friction wear as possible from taking place on the delrin - the other thought I had was to coat or otherwise sheath the rudder cables where they pass through the delrin fitting, making sure to cover the length of travel plus another 50%, to ensure of no binding.
I really do like the extra room for the tootsies in the well and as a side note, you can fit 4 twelve packs of Shiner Boch in the foot well with plenty of room for the size 10s....... but make sure and put 4 twelve packs in the baggage with full fuel for CG tho.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Newsletter(s) 47, 52, and 55 cover the outboard rudder cables.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Wingnut
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:42 am 

Thank you all for the information. I found the newsletters and this is great info. Still learning the site so I appreciate the patience. I am deep into my new project with instrument panel , old fiberglass tank , and center truck removed. I actually found cracks in the top of the old tank and evidence it was leaking fuel, so very glad it will soon see the dumpster. Frasier, thank you for the notes. Any pictures would be very helpful. I'm looking forward to multiple Shiner Boch's when this project is complete.

KMLI