Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

leewwalton
 Post subject: Re: Kentucky Dam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I second that .. we'll be there for dinner as well

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

blackopsspook
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 am 

Well, as much as I wanted to meet everybody I've got to go to Florida Wednesday and won't be back in time make the fly-in. Unfortunately, duty calls. I hope everyone has a wonderful time and sorry I didn't get to meet everyone. Maybe next time.

L...

::N18VP::

rjaeger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:07 pm 

Will be there sometime Friday aft. looking forward to that awesome fish fry! Go Cubbies!

Hagle347
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:05 pm 

- and now Tropical Depression 16 is moving in from the south. The forecast shows this increasing to a Category 1 hurricane by the time it comes ashore on late Saturday at my house in Destin/ Fort Walton/ Niceville. I'll have to watch the track closely - it may be time to stay home from work and evacuate one airplane somewhere. This time of year is always interesting.

T

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 am 

David mentioned that the group flies down to Maury co airport by Clarksville around noon Saturday.

Is that still going on? With the winds I'm trying to calculate fuel stops since m34 doesn't have fuel.

I might have to take the Cherokee as my crosswind skills aren't near as good in the thorp.

david read
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:02 am 

We will be going to Murray KY Saturday around noon for the fish fry as usual. Come on and join us

Binder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 am 

david read wrote:
We will be going to Murray KY Saturday around noon for the fish fry as usual. Come on and join us

With the forecast winds it's a little too much for my skills. Coupled with the thunderstorm forecast I think the wise decision is not to fly for me. :( I'm pretty bummed. If it changes I'll hop in the plane and fly on down.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks to all that made it this year. As always a great time! Hurricane Nate put a short end to the festivities but no regrets here. To those who are with in 200 mi of KY Dam I would ask that you would please make an effort to plan to attend next year. There is a lot of effort from David and Karen Read to make this event happen. Please try to continue this tradition!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 am 

leewwalton wrote:
Thanks to all that made it this year. As always a great time! Hurricane Nate put a short end to the festivities but not regrets here. To those who are with in 200 mi of KY Dam I would ask that you would please make an effort to plan to attend next year. There is a lot of effort from David and Karen Read make this even happen. Please try to keep this tradition continue!

I am bummed I couldn't go. Sadly my skills aren't good enough to tackle the wind we experienced here and what was forecast down there. It will most definitely be on my calendar for next year again.

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am 
Well, the Highley's and Williams' are back in Lakeland after a two day drive from Kentucky Dam. Left N30WW in a hanger at CEY and will return in the next few days to retrieve.
What there was of it, before Nate, we were having a grand time talking Thorp's , and seeing old friends we have made over the last 28 years of going to Kentucky Dam.

ljkrume
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:49 pm 

KY Dam is on my list for next year. Honestly, it has been for quite a while; looks like a wonderful place and a good time. Lookin forward to it and some photos from this year.

Les Krumel,
Albuquerque

Profile Personal album  

stevehawley
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm 

I left KY Dam at 7 AM on Saturday morning. Flew to Shelbyville, TN and filled up with fuel. About a 10kt headwind. Flew SE but ran into the low clouds and mountains near Winchester, TN so landed there and waited about an hour. I needed to fly SE but there was bright areas to the SW so I headed out in the direction of Birmingham and flew about 50miles when I could see bright sky to the south. Flew south for about 30min and could then turn toward the SE. tried to fly between the hills and the Atlanta TCA but couldn’t so turned around and flew counter clockwise around Atlanta and stopped in LaGrange, GA for fuel. At that point I was 210 nm from home! Arrived home pm and was very glad to make it. Sure had a good time talking to old friends and meeting new ones. If I had waited until Saturday afternoon to leave, I would have had to leave my plane and ride home with Bill and Bob. That is what we did about two years ago.
Steve Hawley

dickwolff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:21 pm 

Any pictures?

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:18 pm 

Considering I am a fair weather pilot, I decided to stay low and attend one of the local Texas fly-ins. Sorry to hear the weather did not cooperate as I suspected.

Of the years I've been going to Kentucky, the weather has not been very friendly. My first was when Dave Eby invited me to fly his airplane and really enjoyed it. Even then, as we returned home, we had to leave the airplane in North Texas, Sherman. Pat drove down from Wichita Falls to pick Dave up and I hitch a ride south. Seems the weather this time of year doesn't like to cooperate.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album