Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Fraser MacPhee
 Post subject: A little history.....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 pm 

Every now and then. I post on a local news rag my most humble of opinions in total anonymity. My avatar is aviation oriented and usually attracts vocal opines of me being rich, snobbish, mean and other epitheets. I does on occasion attract a kindred spirit, and today was such a day. Although I do not know his real name, this person is well traveled and living in Ogden Utah, and once he knew I flew a T-18, he sent me this message and these photos.....enjoy

Oh My, tis a small world fer sure!

I knew Mr. Thorp and his wife Kay very well back in the 70's. He was my mentor in the airplane building game centered around his SkyScooter (T-211) design. Spent many a Saturday afternoon at his shop and hanger in San Fernando, which was a beehive of T-18 builders and visiting aircraft luminaries. Also moved that shop to his barn at Lockeford (suburb of Lodi) when he retired and moved back to his family home.

Here are some pictures taken taken at the birthday fly in I organized for Mr Thorp at Lodi/Lockeford in 1980 right after he retired. We packed the Lodi airport with a whole lot of T-18's, 2 Derringers, and five Sky Scooters and every one buzzed the Thorp homestead coming and going. It was a fabulous day for Mr. Thorp and every one in attendance.

I barely remember Mr. Eklund and the other names sort of ring a bell, but it has been 35 years and my memory of names has faded a bit. The group picture is taken in front of Mr. Thorp's old family homestead, maybe you will recognize some of the faces. The Derringer shot includes George Wing and a guy named Anderson who was his production manager in his last attempt at manufacturing that terribly good looking but ill fated airplane. The last picture is Kay holding hands with George Wing with Mr. Thorp standing next to his personal T-211 S/N 1. I build and owned the Scooter next to his S/N 11.

Where do you keep your T18? I would like to check it out and meet you.

And damned if I didn't like Kinky Freeman in the day as well!!!

'tis a small world after all.....

Attachments:
Thorp3.jpg
Thorp3.jpg [ 218.34 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]
Thorp2.jpg
Thorp2.jpg [ 160.4 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]
Thorp1.jpg
Thorp1.jpg [ 360.92 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)
 Profile Personal album  

N89BJ