Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:55 pm 

I know it is early to be asking this , but if we want to have a Spring Fly In at Sedona , AZ (SEZ) during 2015 , early planning is a must as this hot spot and the rooms fill up fast ! They have a Fly In coordinator on the field and I have been in touch with to get a feel as to what the best months would be to fly in . Right now it looks like
April is a good month for WX with regard to winds and temps. They have a hotel right on the field over looking the whole valley along with a high class restaurant . We get free ties downs and a 30 cent fuel discount . I can arrange for a group dinner Friday and Saturday nite at the airport grill . Views are amazing ! I need a ruff head count so I can set aside a "block of rooms" at the airport hotel and get the group rate . Once I get the rooms secured I can work on some sort of group tour of the area ? If not a group tour , then you can arrange different events to suit your taste . Rental cars are available .

I am trying to pick the best month for WX and reasonable rooms rates...I will do the best I can ! Please let me know ASAP as I don't want to have more people than rooms . Go to Sedona Airport and click on "Official Site" and it has a butt load of info . If you have ever wanted to land on a (docked) aircraft carrier this is your chance !

RB O:-)

Haze Gray and Underway !

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:12 am 

Hi Rich,
Been there in the Thorp several times, but I'd love to go again... that's a ways away, but hopefully major conflicts with whatever date you choose won't crop up...count me in!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am 

Thanks John : Like I said the Fly In event coordinator sez the rooms fill up fast during the good weather months . Just trying to get a ruff idea so I can set aside a block of rooms with the hotel as early as possible .

RB

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 am 

I am in as long as the dates are not to close to the begining of the month. I.E. the 28th of March or the 4th of April probably won't work for me.

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm 

Way to go rich! ;D A stay over at Sedona has been on our to fly list so count us in 8)

Profile Personal album  

bcabebe
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 pm 

I'm in.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:28 pm 

I will try and pick a date that will pleases everyone . Right now it is just a ruff head count for the hotel and their best group rate . It will be arrive on a Friday . Group dinner Friday nite . . Saturday I will try and set up some sort of group field trip ? Saturday nite group dinner . Sunday you are on your own .

RB

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 pm 

That sounds like fun Rich, keep us posted......Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:55 pm 

I will Dan . I know your work schedule and you work harder than a mule pulling Valley cotton to the Gin ! :o I will keep you posted as to the final date for the event . 8)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Tony Ginn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:05 am 

Count me in. Mom and Dad, I mean, Howard and Elaine live on Montezuma Skypark 15nm away on a heading of 185 degrees. They fly their Thorps (T18 and T211) in formation into Sedona weekly.
Say when. Thanks for coordinating it, Rich!

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm 

Roger...I am looking a next April/May before it gets really hot ! A Friday/Saturday/Sunday . 8) I know any Hotel in the area is going to be pricey , but I'll do my best to get a good rate . ::) I will start calling hotels next week to sniff out any good deals ! :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:07 am 

Hi Rich, any closer to picking dates?

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:15 pm 

Yes Matt : I have been working on a date . I am trying to secure a block of rooms at the Sedona Airport Lodge . The Lodge is right on the airport and they have a restaurant . The views look spectacular ! I have been watching the WX and April seems to be a good Month for Temps . If I cannot get a block of rooms at the Lodge , I'll start sniffing out places in town . A hotel in town would not be bad as they have a shuttle bus that makes a loop around the business district . Trying to avoid having to rent any transportation . A lot of options . Trying to keep the group together . Right now I am looking at Mid April 2015 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) for a date . Give me a little more time to secure the rooms and then I'll post a "firm" date . I am estimating 10 aircraft for the RON . If anyone has been here before and has any gouge on rooms let me know ! I pulled a partial list of who may attend out of my shorts . I know it is still a ways off , but this town fills up fast especially after school lets out !

1. RB
2. CUBES
3. Fraser
4. Lou
5. John Evens
6.Dan
7. IRA
8. Dean
9.Homey
10. Tony . I assume Mom and Dad will not spend the night ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 pm 

Hi Rich,

Add me to the list for now. I believe we will have a wedding to attend in Colorado Springs in April (they are also working on firming up the date). I am hoping for the Sedona Fly-in and the Wedding to be consecutive weekends so we can attend both and site see the week in-between.

Thanks,

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:04 pm 

Ok Matt I'll add you to the list . Are you driving or flying ? If you are driving you may be called upon to do some light duty driver duties ! :)

RB O0

Profile Personal album