Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:51 am 

Looks like uncle Herb needs me. I'll be thinking of you guys. Keep a hand held turn up. You may hear from a contrail that day.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:00 am 

You're probably scheduled for salt peeter chemtrails that day......

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:44 am 

Could be. But it is California. My guess would be drought causing diaper agent.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Guys,
I put the KVIS info out on the main site, let me know if there's anything I missed or anything else you would like out there.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:29 pm 

Hotel booked, good weather ordered - see you in three weeks tamale. I'm dreaming of Gloria.....???.....COOKING!!!......I'm dreaming of Gloria's COOKING!!

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:13 am 

I will be at the airport on Friday Frase, come on in.....its not that far off is it!! Dan

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:53 pm 

Fraser MacPhee wrote:
Hotel booked, good weather ordered - see you in three weeks tamale. I'm dreaming of Gloria.....???.....COOKING!!!......I'm dreaming of Gloria's COOKING!!

Wish I was going to be there with you guys... I had to choose one or the other and decided to try to get to Kentucky Dam this year. I haven't been able to get there for a few years. It's like an Oshkosh trip, distance wise, for me. I'll really be kicking myself if I can't get some good weather this year between here & Kentucky. It'll be a great gathering in California! If Gloria does any cookin' I'm gonna' really miss that too!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

dan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:04 am 

ok John, fly safe and have a good time tell everybody there we all said Hi........Dan

bfinney
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 pm 

Just book a room at Comfort Inn, my wife is coming with me, should be a good trip. Now we'll pray for good weather in Seattle that weekend so we can get out of town. :D

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

stevehawley
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:43 am 

Dan, sorry, but I won't be able to make it. I had forgotten that my wife and her two best friends from high school (55 years ago) had booked a house on Nags Head on the outer banks for a week. I flew out to San Diego last week on a kerosene burner and brought back Mira Slovaks Bucker Jungman. From Fallbrook Ca to Gellespi field for an overnight, then Wed morning to Tucson, Las Cruces, and overnight in Odessa TX. Thursday to Cleburn Tx and on to Rayville LA for overnight. Friday to Bessmer AL and then on home. Avg leg was 300nm, speed was 91k distance flown 1994nm with 21.3 hours in the air. My nose was sunburned and my rear end was sore. Sure does make you appreciate a T-18.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:34 am 

Wow, Mira Slovak's plane??....how cool is that!!.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:02 pm 

Glad you got home safe Steve, no worries, standing for a bit will help the backside, shmear a little Neosporin on that nose and it will quit burning. I will just bet you were a little used up when you lined up on final at home ! Dan

dan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:08 pm 

Looking forward to seeing you Bruce, I am hoping to have 3 from Washington I believe Gary and Paul are coming also, I like trips when the wife comes along with me!! Dan

Tony Ginn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:45 pm 

Dan, Ira, Dean and all those headed to KVIS,

Here's a short story and a simple request (if the stars aligned to make it work out),

Years ago, I had a chance to work the NASA Green Flight Challenge with the CAFE Foundation up in Santa Rosa, CA. The first year there I gave a ride to a bright, aviation-minded 12 yr old. Two years later I was there, and again gave 14 yr old Quincy a nice Thorp experience over the vineyards and shoreline of Northern California. At 15 yrs old he bought a T-18 project and hauled it home from Oregon. He's quite a busy kid -- straight A student, plays Varsity Basketball, is in the band and volunteers at the local Pacific Coast Aviation Museum. At age 17 he got his Private Certificate and climbed Mt Shasta to raise money for Cancer (for his Dad). He has learned enough about T-18s to know his project's fuselage was junk and he has since acquired another one and it's now on the gear. He's now a high school senior and applying for colleges in Aeronautical Engineering. He's pretty much learning T-18s and homebuilding solo up in Nor-Cal with only some guidance from the guys that work the heavy iron at the Pacific Coast Air Museum and a few EAAers.

I was hoping to fly up to KSTS (Santa Rosa) to bring him to KVIS but I need to attend a Flight Test Symposium the week of the fly in. I hope to meet the T-18ers where ever they fly to lunch or be at KVIS when they return Saturday afternoon.

Here's my request, if there is any T-18er that will be in the Nor-Cal area or passing through that could pick up Quincy at KSTS and bring him to KVIS, it would be a great motivator and learning experience for him and I'll be glad to splash some gas in your tank. I did check with him and he's out of class at 2pm on Friday. Please give me a call or email if anyone thinks that they can assist. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the consideration,
Tony Ginn
661-810-8565
tony.ginn@nasa.gov

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am 

Tony - I sent you an e-mail......as I've yet to leave a memorable impression on the SFO controllers, I'll be happy to go get him on the way down....given my memorable impressions are water cooler conversations generally lasting a week, am hoping someone can return him whilst I stealth my way home on the more direct route through the belly of Nevada.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next