Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Bill Williams
 Post subject: ADS-B
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:47 pm 
Installed an Avionix UAT with Skyfyx in my Thorp and flew it yesterday, I decided not to fly any more as there was more traffic than on Interstate 4 going to Disney. Still programming it to get it verified by the Feds. The nexrad weather is worth the effort. Bob and I flew back from New Port Richey and navigated between two large thunderstorms coming into LAL

bfinney
 Post subject: Re: ADS-B
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 pm 

Bill,
Make sure you have the latest software in the uAvionix box, I had a problem with my unit until I upgraded it, all is working well now.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 pm 

I had the same experience as Bruce. I also found they responded fast to email communications with them for some other tweaks after my ADSB reports were failing. They got me squared away. I'm very happy with mine.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 am 
Mines a new unit, received it about two weeks ago. Still having installation problems. Flew it for the first time and the pressure altitude was red flagged. I'm in the process of wiring it direct to the Garmin 327. I'm also confused on the installation programming using the Echo App. I think I need to go into the Garmin and select the Rs232 (1) out also. With Curt's help I'll get er done!

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:28 pm 

I like my Uavionix unit . :P My wife was the programming engineer when it came time to use the phone and program the unit . ??? The WiFi aspect of the programming worked perfect ! Must have got lucky as it passed all the airborne FAA requirements the first time ! :o If someone knows of a way to "declutter" some of the targets , let me know ! Here in SOCAL the screen is busier than Stink on a June Bug with targets ! ::) A lot of the targets are stacked up like cord wood ! >:(

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
... :o If someone knows of a way to "declutter" some of the targets , let me know ! Here in SOCAL the screen is busier than Stink on a June Bug with targets ! ::) A lot of the targets are stacked up like cord wood ! ...

RB O0

Easiest way is to move to Montana, Rich... I'll go with you.

My uAvionix unit works great also (on my new bird). I wired it directly into my 327 xnpdr. too, Bill.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:30 am 
Rich, I have two flight programs and they will let you set some parameters on aircraft targets, not a lot but you can get rid of 30K traffic.
I use AVIATOR and like some of the features of the free AVARE
LAL has several flights schools and the traffic can be really crowded

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am 

Thanks Bill : In addition to our local flight schools , the other problem is the high density of airports ! ::) Can't wait until 2020 to see how many more targets we pick up when ADS-B is required ! :o
Me thinks I'll give UAvionix a call and see if they have away to buffer out some of this chaff ! :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 pm 

Stratus has the same problem. I need to get a hold of foreflight guys.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm 

OK, Rich... since you don't want to go to Montana, you've forced me to get serious. To my knowledge, the traffic depiction/display is controlled by your display device/program. The ADS-B unit just provides the raw data to it. If I remember correctly, you have an iFly like I do. I also have an iPad mini with FlyQ, but I'll tell you what I know about my iFly 740 unit.

Three different icons are used for traffic - distant traffic is shown as a small dot with an arrow indicating course. "Informational" (intermediate range traffic) are green triangles, and closest traffic ("warning") are red triangles. You have 3 different choices/settings for the collision alerts threshold - "Relaxed", "Moderate", & "Strict". I think "moderate" is the default, which displays traffic within 3 NM as green triangles, and within 1 NM as red triangles. There is approximately a +/- 20% change with the other 2 settings. To get to those settings you click "map mode" and touch the little gear icon to the right of "Traffic". If you want to get traffic and weather, make sure that "METAR/TAF", "NEXRAD", and "TRAFFIC" are all still selected before you exit that menu.

You might want to try playing with the collision alerts threshold to see if it's better for you. I'm not sure if there are any other options for traffic display, but iFly would be the ones to contact to find out. Quite honestly, there are days when I think I''ll just turn off the traffic display function and fly like I have for the last 46 years.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:19 pm 

Thank you Mr. Wizard ! I'll look into that . The problem I have with most of the electronic hardware is that it has more features and info that I will ever use in the brief time I have left on this miserable globe ! You are right in that I spend too much time looking at the funny little box and NOT looking outside !! Thanks for the info. John . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Unclerap
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:31 pm 

Somewhat related: The BeechAeroClub.org has a deal going with uAvionix for a significant discount for the wing mounted and tail mounted unit. You don't have to own a musketeer to join, I'm a member and haven't owned a mouse for 5+ years. There is a group buy scheduled for October. Currently about 60 members on the schedule. $50 to join. www.beechaeroclub.org. Look in the forums for the ADSb group buy thread, get on the list. I'm on the hook for 2, one for N8768 and one for my Citibria.

Rap McBurney A&P/IA
Past Prez BAC (that's why the plug)

Binder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 pm 

Unclerap wrote:
Somewhat related: The BeechAeroClub.org has a deal going with uAvionix for a significant discount for the wing mounted and tail mounted unit. You don't have to own a musketeer to join, I'm a member and haven't owned a mouse for 5+ years. There is a group buy scheduled for October. Currently about 60 members on the schedule. $50 to join. http://www.beechaeroclub.org. Look in the forums for the ADSb group buy thread, get on the list. I'm on the hook for 2, one for N8768 and one for my Citibria.

Rap McBurney A&P/IA

What kind of price on those units? obviously it would be a $50 premium added to the price for membership on the forum.

As for traffic on adsb, it is controlled by the software. On foreflight it's a simple button "hide distant traffic" and it blocks off all traffic from 10 miles or greater. It could be 5 miles instead of 10, i just know it doesn't go past one of my visible distance rings and cuts out a lot of traffic. Free programs are great but all those extra details from the paid foreflight is well worth the money.

Unclerap
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:10 pm 

The discount will exceed the $50 membership a bit. Currently about 150 musketeers on the group buy list. In reality the difference between the membership and discount will only be a couple hundred at best. Just pay retail and you won't have to wait for the group buy delivery schedule.

Binder wrote:
Unclerap wrote:
Somewhat related: The BeechAeroClub.org has a deal going with uAvionix for a significant discount for the wing mounted and tail mounted unit. You don't have to own a musketeer to join, I'm a member and haven't owned a mouse for 5+ years. There is a group buy scheduled for October. Currently about 60 members on the schedule. $50 to join. http://www.beechaeroclub.org. Look in the forums for the ADSb group buy thread, get on the list. I'm on the hook for 2, one for N8768 and one for my Citibria.

Rap McBurney A&P/IA

What kind of price on those units? obviously it would be a $50 premium added to the price for membership on the forum.

As for traffic on adsb, it is controlled by the software. On foreflight it's a simple button "hide distant traffic" and it blocks off all traffic from 10 miles or greater. It could be 5 miles instead of 10, i just know it doesn't go past one of my visible distance rings and cuts out a lot of traffic. Free programs are great but all those extra details from the paid foreflight is well worth the money.

Binder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:28 pm 

Unclerap wrote:
The discount will exceed the $50 membership a bit. Currently about 150 musketeers on the group buy list. In reality the difference between the membership and discount will only be a couple hundred at best. Just pay retail and you won't have to wait for the group buy delivery schedule.

My delivery schedule is just having it before 2020 so that's not an issue. Do they have any timeline as to when the order might go in? Will it be within a month, by end of year? Just trying to get a timeline so I can get everything set up and in the group.