Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Unclerap
 Post subject: Re: ADS-B
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:22 pm 

Good question. Original plan was for end of Oct, that is obviously going to slip for the Cert units and therefore will slow down the process for the group buy, which will impact us experimental types. Current group buy is over 200 BACers, so I'm pretty sure we have uavionix attention. Also, you need to read up on the Garmin lawsuit. So far there has not been a TRO issued, so the units are still shipping. Still I'm in for a Tailbeacon for the Thorp and a wingtip beacon for the Citibria

Rap

Binder wrote:
Unclerap wrote:
The discount will exceed the $50 membership a bit. Currently about 150 musketeers on the group buy list. In reality the difference between the membership and discount will only be a couple hundred at best. Just pay retail and you won't have to wait for the group buy delivery schedule.

My delivery schedule is just having it before 2020 so that's not an issue. Do they have any timeline as to when the order might go in? Will it be within a month, by end of year? Just trying to get a timeline so I can get everything set up and in the group.

Binder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 pm 

Unclerap wrote:
Good question. Original plan was for end of Oct, that is obviously going to slip for the Cert units and therefore will slow down the process for the group buy, which will impact us experimental types. Current group buy is over 200 BACers, so I'm pretty sure we have uavionix attention. Also, you need to read up on the Garmin lawsuit. So far there has not been a TRO issued, so the units are still shipping. Still I'm in for a Tailbeacon for the Thorp and a wingtip beacon for the Citibria

Rap

Binder wrote:
Unclerap wrote:
The discount will exceed the $50 membership a bit. Currently about 150 musketeers on the group buy list. In reality the difference between the membership and discount will only be a couple hundred at best. Just pay retail and you won't have to wait for the group buy delivery schedule.

My delivery schedule is just having it before 2020 so that's not an issue. Do they have any timeline as to when the order might go in? Will it be within a month, by end of year? Just trying to get a timeline so I can get everything set up and in the group.

I read up on it and unless there uavionix is lying about their info it appears to be a frivolous lawsuit. Maybe garmin is just trying to burn up uavionix's money in court out of spite or something. Garmin has yet to produce any patent info on frequency "sniffers". All their systems use cables to send information not remote transmission.

Even if there is data supporting it I'm not sure the lawsuit would make units shipped invalid or obsolete except future service and warranty if uavionix goes bankrupt.

And they wonder why there is no innovation and advancement of aviation. Giants like this that keep prices ridiculous and try to snuff out any new comers that could reduce costs and get more people into aviation.

Bill Williams
 Post subject: RXRe: ADS-B
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:38 pm 
Have the Avionix ADS-B . Bob and I flew from LAL to M34 this past weekend in same day same way formation. We used flight following.
Bob contacted Jax approach, they gave him squawk code. Seems my ADS-B was repeating his squawk code and Center was seeing two planes with same code. This drove the controllers crazy. We were asked to put mine in standby, which it was. We turned off my transponder and still a double squawk code. I could see Bob and he could see me on our display.
Returned to LAL and Emailed Curt at Avionix. Problem solved. seems you can re-program the Echo (using the APP) for UAT in/out, RX in only, or turn both in and out off.
We had discus sed this before and the question was haow would ADS-B respond flying in formation, Now we know

Jeff J
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm 

I like the concept behind the design but I wonder how durable these units will be in regards to hangar rash. Would they be repairable or have to be replaced?

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:24 pm 
I have the Echo/Skyfyx ADS-B which has a small aluminum box (4x4x 3/4) and the GPS antenna is very similar to the garmin.
Other than hitting a transponder antenna it would be quite durable.
As for the SkyBeacon you have a point there, or go with the tail beacon. These are ADS-B out only and the Echo is I/O