Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Dynon D120 EGT reads -85
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:29 pm 

I just cleaned up the wire runs behind my panel and re-hooked everything back up as it should be. I have a Dynon D120 EMS in my panel . I am now seeing my EGT #3 read -85 while the rest of the EGT's read 95. That's the temperature in my hangar so those are about right. Prior to wire clean-up process, the EGTs all were reading properly.

I looked at the probe and the connections that are firewall forward and all looks good up there. I feel like it may be a wiring issue since I just cleaned up the wiring, but I have the Dynon CHT/EGT harness, and EGT harness just hooks to the D120 via a DSUB connector. I didn't reroute the EGT probe wires. I simply un-connected the EGT DSUB connector from the back of the EMS. Upon completion of my wire clean-up process, I re-connected the EGT DSUB to the EMS. I tried blowing out (with my mouth) the female DSUB receptacle on the back of the D120 in case some FOD got in there. It did not help.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I have posted this on the Dynon board as well, but maybe some of you guys have an idea as well.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 pm 

Hi Ryan,

If you disconnect the D Sub, do all the readings go to -85? Maybe it's a broken connection on that one probe - that's what it sounds like.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Fly
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm 

Ryan,

I've got a D-10 EMS I'm wiring up for my plane. I believe they are identical besides the display size. Without the EGT probes connected my unit displays -42 for the EGT. (CHT's indicate about 450) I think you may have a loose pin in the connector or bad connection somewhere between the connector and that probe.

If you don't have any luck with the wiring, call tech support at Dynon and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Marshall

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:13 pm 

jrevens wrote:
Hi Ryan,

If you disconnect the D Sub, do all the readings go to -85? Maybe it's a broken connection on that one probe - that's what it sounds like.

that's a good idea John. i'll check that.

Fly wrote:
Ryan,

I've got a D-10 EMS I'm wiring up for my plane. I believe they are identical besides the display size. Without the EGT probes connected my unit displays -42 for the EGT. (CHT's indicate about 450) I think you may have a loose pin in the connector or bad connection somewhere between the connector and that probe.

If you don't have any luck with the wiring, call tech support at Dynon and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Marshall

That's good info Marshall. it gives me a good point of reference. it backs up what John said too.

Profile Personal album